Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR 5L wont start.... PLEASE HELP

LMP420

Reaction score
hi, could someone please help me out, the car is a VR berlina 5L and isnt starting, i got the codes of of the computer and it came out with Code 46 - No Refference Signals while cranking, i tried calling holden, repco, auto pro, and the wreckers to price a new crank angle sensor but not 1 of them had that part in stock and holden told me they stopped carrying them in 2002, and said that it was a bosch item. so i called repco and they called bosch for me and they had no listing of the part either...

after having a search on here there are a few similar problems with vr's not starting and ppl keep mentions the DFI module??? does anyone think this may be the problem, if so where is the DFI module located and how do i replace/check the terminals...

also all the posts i found with this similar problem, the cars with the problem all seemed to be v6, and no v8.. could this be another problem perhaps..

anyhelp would be much appreciated..

reagrds
J

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
the dfi module is the ugly grey metal box on your right hand strut tower....

LMP420

Reaction score
thanks for the quick reply boona, well after just goin out to clean the dfi connectors, i disconnected the battery and reset the computer, and now the only code i am getting back 12, but the car still wont start??

jonh_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
Go back to basics

Go back to basics - Check for fuel, check for spark and then go down either of those legs. If you have both, check computer and its connections - they can get old and widen up and give variable results - but I would think that you should be getting some codes through not just a code 12

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
Not surprised they couldn't find a crank angle sensor for the V8, they don't exist!! The V8 and V6 operate completely differently. The V8 uses a Hall effect sensor (the V8 version of the CAS) to talk to the ECM which fires the ignition module and onto the coil.

Suggest you follow john_vs's advice to find where the problem lies.

LMP420

Reaction score
OK... so i have checked for spark and fuel, i diconnected the fuel line in the engine bay and when the ignition is turned on fuel comes out... also cranked the engine with a lead off and the was a strong spark... any ideas where to go from here??

plz help....

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
You will need to see if the injectors are getting a pulse from the computer.The easy way to do this is to disconnect the plug from an injector & fit a noid light in its place. Then crank the engine & see if the light flashes.
Also check that the acc isnt open as in clear flood mode the ecm wont allow fuel to be injected.Could also be a faulty throttle position sensor.
One other problem is if there is no reference signal the computer wont know when to pulse the injector.

LMP420

Reaction score
thanks vt for your reply, as i mentioned in an earlier post, when it wouldnt start at 1st i checked the codes and it spat out 46-No Refference Signals while cranking... which i guess could explain the problem, but after i reset the computer no code was given apart from 12...

so with code 46... does that mean i need to get a new hall effect sensor??

LMP420

Reaction score
Also... VT.. what do u mean by checking to see if the acc is open??

thanks heaps for ya help

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
If the Acc is open I mean is the throttle stuck open which will put the car into clear flood mode.
I am not too sure about the location of the hall effect sensor, I will find out today & post back.