Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 Starting Issues

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Hi All,

I'm having some issues with starting my car of late. Quite often when the engine has been running for a while, then shut down, then restarted a few mins later (like when getting fuel), the starter turns over the motor very slowly, and sometimes it seems to be not turning it over at all, and then just freewheeling. Normally if I try starting it again, it turns over ok.

This morning I filled up with fuel, and went to start it, and the starter could barely crank over the engine, I tried again, and then again, still no good. Waited a few mins, and had another go, still turned over slowly, but the engine did start, coughed and spluttered, and then stalled... this happened twice more, and then it did start up and run.

After work this arvo, same deal, very very slow cranking, and then running and then stalling. 3rd time starting it was ok. The battery is fine as far as I know, and the alternator also is ok, as its charging at just over 14 volts... So can anyone shed any light on what the problem could be?

DeiCide

DeiCide
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 L67
I'd check yer fuel pump, run a diagnoistics to see if any error codes come up.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
could also be your starter motor....but i got no ideas why the engine would die from being cranked over too slowly...

J

jc58nc

To crank slowly it has to be a flat or sick battery OR the starter motor and or cables.
Measure the volts across the battery when you crank the engine, I'd expect at least 10 volts, less than 10 volts could be the battery, above 10 volts I'd be looking at the starter motor.

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
got thh exact same problem here in our VS.... when starting it cranks very slowly (almost like a flat battery) but starts ok....... battery had been tested twice its OK.... alternator is charging fine........ one thing mentioned was that the starter was using alot of current when starting... havent really checked into this though....

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah the thing is it doesnt do it all the time, occaisionally when its cold, first thing it cranks slowly, but this stalling business is new. The slow cranking often happens when the motor is hot though, but it doesnt happen every time again.

I tested it tonight when I got home, didn't have a problem when starting this time, voltage dropped to 10.7 volts when starting this time.

Is there any easy way of measuring how much current the starter motor is actually drawing?

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
yeah the same here.. not all the time will the prob occur..... in the morning its a sure thing.......

not sure what they are supposed to draw.. but i guess we can get a rough idea by measuring the current drop when the motor is cranked over....

J

jc58nc

To measure the current the starter draws when cranking you need an in line amp meter which would be too expensive, unless you can borrow one. I suggest the next move would be to remove the starter and have it tested by an auto electrician, they have a device called a growler which tests for shorted turns in the rotor, shorted turns would increase the current when cranking but less cranking power output. Also check your connections,cables and the solinoid on the starter, when the problem occurs after a bit of cranking see if any component is hotter than the rest of the engine, a bad connection or cable causes heat.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
jc58nc said:
To measure the current the starter draws when cranking you need an in line amp meter which would be too expensive, unless you can borrow one. I suggest the next move would be to remove the starter and have it tested by an auto electrician, they have a device called a growler which tests for shorted turns in the rotor, shorted turns would increase the current when cranking but less cranking power output. Also check your connections,cables and the solinoid on the starter, when the problem occurs after a bit of cranking see if any component is hotter than the rest of the engine, a bad connection or cable causes heat.

Yeah looks like I will be off to the auto electrician. When the problem does occur, its usually only on the first two or three cranks, and then the speed of the cranks increases dramatically, to the speed of a normal starter motor and charged up battery. The problem is quite intermittent though, as I tested it again today, got to work after 50 mins of driving, switched off, then on again, no problems. Went to start the car after work (8 hours later) and had the problem again....

Cheers for all the responses so far guys, much appreciated!

zegerman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive MANUAL
mate my car did that very thing.... a did every thing to try and fix it!!!! all it turned out to be was dirty battery terminals.... take them of and use some sand paper or a terminal cleaner and sand both the terminal and the clamp so there nice and clean then put em back on.... my car has been sweet ever since... oh and if you have a stock head deck get the pin code for it cause when you disconnect the battery it don't work no more. hope it works..... :dance: