Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR VS Commodore Lexcen Max Ellery Manual - Good or Rubbish?

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
Me again, hey i'm looking at buying a copy of the VR VS Commodore Lexcen Max Ellery Manual, i was just wanting to know from anybody who might already own a copy whether it's worth buying or junk. Also if someone could give me a summary of what exactly it covers because i've searched the net for a good summary and it's all fairly vague. I've tried looking for a Gregory's handbook as well but haven't had any luck at dymocks, angus and robertson, ebay or amazon.

Just think, if i get a handbook maybe i can stop annoying everyone with stupid questions! (Well, probably not but still). Thanks!

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
i had the gregories and found it alot more useful, max elery does both vr and vs both v6 and v8

J

jc58nc

The Max Ellery Manuals are a big heap of poop!!!
Their wiring diagrams are totally useless and I'm a retired electronics technician!
I wrote to the publisher and complained but all they could say is they know the wiring diagrams weren't up to scratch but they plan to redo them in the future. A lota good that does when you want to use it now.
Stick to a Gregory's or factory manual.

Struma

Urge Surfer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Executive Ute
Gregories Manual

Hey Brycestro,

The Gregories can be quite helpful - and is usually on the rack in the manuals section of Huper Sheap.

Cheers.

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
Max Ellery Manual has a few mis prints that could cost you. One that i know about is the tension for the rear brake calibre bolts. In at least one spot they have actaully used the setting for the front.

Just as i was thinking that this is a joke and there is no way it should be this tight is the same time i heard the awful sound of metal cracking. luckilly it only stretch the bolt and it came out allright. but it could of been worse.

there are a few other things at least that are wrong but i can't rember exactly. My book is a few years old they might have updated it by now. But when i contacted them about it i got no response.

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
I've got an Ellery's, a Gregory's and the factory set.

Clearly nothing beats the factory publication for accuracy and exploded view diagrams, but a full set does cost a heck of a lot more.

With the Ellery it's almost like they tried to cram every possible model variation into the book (inc V6 and V8) but no book that small can do justice to all those variations. Hence the resultant typo's and stuff that's just plain wrong. There's a lot of text, but it's light on for pictures/diagrams. And as others have said, forget the electrical side of things.

For the dollars you're looking to spend, I highly recommend the Gregory's.

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
got a max elery here.. as ppl are saying it does the VR/VS V6& V8 put doesnt do into great detail in some subjects.....

they crap on about shite that u wont even need to know........ the manual needs to be more technical in some explanations......

DONT buy it....... not worth the paper its printed on!!!!

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I have a Gregory's and it's great! Get it from Super cheap, Repco or Auto Barn. I have a Haynes manual for my fiance's laser. The details are good but the photos are terrible.

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
ah k cool, thanks for the advice everyone. I cruised down to super cheap and picked up a gregory's today... now just to put the information into practice :). P.S. half way through neon install, wish me luck :p