Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

cracked oil sump

commo69

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ss
gday all
tragedy struck today when i took a corner too fast and cracked my oil sump and i watched my oil spilll all over the road. does anyone know how much it should cost to replace the oil sump
cheers all-

V

VSAccCom

ok how the fk does taking a corner crack ur sump, u hit something or wat

commo69

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ss
yeh i hit a curb

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
If you cracked your sump the odds are you did some other damage as the sump is surrounded by many things.
Perhaps its better you leave it off the road if you have the urge to drive so bloody stupid that you mount the footpath.
Consider that anyone could have been ther and you could have killed them.
I hope it costs you heaps and the mechanic rips you off good and thorough.

Sammy

Reaction score
Website
www.oldholdens.com
Members Ride
LH Torana with Ecotec V6
wow, im sure you have never put a foot wrong in your driving history too ...

anyways to help the guy out, if its the actual sump that cracked i guess you have two options ...

1. weld the crack up and re-install the sump.

2. get one from the wreckers and replace it ....

either way im not sure your going to be able to do it in the car, you might have to atleast get the front of the motor up high enough to get at the bolts etc ....

if you can weld it in the car that might be the easiest option.

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
you will need a hoist to lift the engine right up untill its touching the trans tunnel (you need to undo the engine mounts to do this)

then you needs get all the bolts of with a spanner (they are in prick spots so it takes a while but is doable) you will also need the exhaust manifolds undone off the heads to get enough clearance hight

then you need to use an allen key to remove the sump pickup tube (as the sump catches on it and you have little clearance) so that you can remove the sump itself

then reverse everything to get the new one in...

use new gasket and gasket goo to avoid future hassles

will take a good 3/4 of a day to get it all done

Struma

Urge Surfer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Executive Ute
Fixing Sump

My VS is booked in for some work next week - including replacing the leaking sump gasket.
This component of the job has been quoted to me at $580 (I am having a few other things done while we are there) - If I understand it correctly they will be removing the crossmember to drop the sump pan, but whichever way they do it, given the nature of the job I don't think it's too unreasonable. The car has got to be on the hoist and there seems to be a lot of crap to undo as well as supporting the motor while the 'member is out.

Cheers,