Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Blinker Relay

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
I recently purchased some LED blinker bulbs, I must say, they look awesome, looks good when they blink on and off instead of fade out, anyways, the blinker relay thinks there is no bulbs in the sockets because the LEDS don't draw much current, does anyone know how to trick the relay to think there is bulbs in the sockets? I think using resistors might work but would defeat the purpose of using low current bulbs, I suppose the last resort would be to buy a special relay which would detect currents as low as .02amps.

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
Yep, if you want the circuit to be as it was designed to be, replace the flashers - otherwise you could add heaps more LEDs and have blinkers brighter than your headlights?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You need an "electronic " flasher unit - this flashes independent of the load whereas the normal (or older style) flasher is load sensitive. With an electronic one it also will not be affected when you attach a trailer. Maybe with the Calais you have bulb failure sensing which may stuff things up and complicate matters. Luxury comes at a price.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Mate why would you be worried about such minor current draw? Add the resistors for a cheap and simple soloution.

newo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
If you're concerned about the current being too low, how is resistor going to help? Go with the electronic type of 'relay' would probably be your better option.

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
I've purchased a LED blinker relay from eBay, my other problem is the brake lights, hopefully the warning bulb light doesn't turn on once I chuck in the wedge leds and led tail/brake bulbs.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
VLishes said:
I've purchased a LED blinker relay from eBay, my other problem is the brake lights, hopefully the warning bulb light doesn't turn on once I chuck in the wedge leds and led tail/brake bulbs.

I hope you are aware that technically you can get done for using non ADR bulbs in all these applications?

Hopefully you won't, but you should at least be aware that you can.

cheers

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Wtf, why? If it's the same brightness then what would be the problem?

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
VLishes said:
Wtf, why? If it's the same brightness then what would be the problem?

Sorry mate, don't ask me why - but rules is rules. A mate, from QLD got pulled over in NSW for it - was told they are not legal in any state. Was told to fix asap. He didn't worry about it - no chance of seeing that copper again, a coupla weeks later he got pulled over on his way home from work. He was given a warning, told he'd be defected if the copper ever saw him with them still on - so he changed them.

I reckon they are great - especially for brake lights and indicators - a much more distinctive on/off.

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Err fark the system, if they are the same brightness if not better then standard bulbs then fark em, goes to show how screwed the system is. lol.