Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

low pitch hissing sound after removing headunit

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
Hey everyone, i've just been mucking around with the car downstairs and taking the headunit out to see how much room there was back there and have a look at some of the wiring. I got that far... except now that i've put it all back together i get this low pitched hissing sort of sound coming from the console area around the headunit/temperature adjustment panel there... i pulled the temperature part out to check the connections were secure and that none of the plug on tubing was loose but this hasn't stopped it.

I don't think it's any frequency coming from the headunit or anything because a) i didn't actually install a new headunit, was just looking at the existing one and b) the noise was still coming through without the head unit on.
I had a feel round to see if it was air escaping anywhere but it doesn't seem to be... i could be wrong though. I also tried cranking the air con right up and fan speed just to see if the noise increased with that and it didn't, all that went up was coolness...

Anybody else experienced this/have any ideas why it could be happening??? Thanks, any help would be great.

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
youve knocked the vaccuum tubes off the vaccuum valve

the vaccuum tubes open and close the vents

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
hey mate, thanks for your quick help. Vacuum tube off the vacuum valve? what would i be looking for to put back on there? i don't know what either of that looks like. I'm assuming you don't mean all the tiny tubes that run to the air con mode button thing where you select what mode you want the air con to be running in? If anyone has a picture that'd be excellent. Thanks again, much appreciate it.

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
Yes the grouping of about 6 tubes is what haloeight is talking about. I could also be a misalignment of the ducts that run thru to the back of the centre console.

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
ok cool i'll pull it apart again and double check it all, make sure i haven't overlooked it.

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
problem solvered, turned out i'd knocked one of the vacuum plugs that reside near the steel rod with the plastic piece on it off in the process of taking it off. put it back on and the noise is gone. Thanks all.