Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

changing spark plugs??

hold-on

Reaction score
Website
www.fusiongraphics.co.nz
Members Ride
2005 SV6
I have a series II VS ecotec, I want to change the spark plugs, can anyone recomend a good brand at a good price???? and also whats is the correct gap 1.5mm?????? and is it an easy task, never done it b4

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
NGK about 4 dollars a plug, dont worry about the gap, as they are set when you buy them, autobarn/supercheap etc look in there book, and all done, u mite wonna buy a psark plug remover socket or device too

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
I would worry about the gap, just check it regardless. Even though they're supposed to be gapped from factory, there are times when they're not. Buy the tool to remove them, very simple from then on.

When putting plugs in, as soon as you feel it hit the head, another 1/4 turn and thats it.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
And pull the plug leads off by grasping and twisting the plug cover NOT the lead as you will break it. They can be a pain to remove from the spark plug.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Also, I've found that removing the airbox piping between the throttle body and air flow sensor helps, as it gives a bit more room to work in. The driver's side isn't too bad, although the ABS modulator gets in the way a bit, but you just have to be patient...

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
The tools I used were...

Half inch socket set with the correct plug socket, short extension for the passenger side....and balljoint extension for the drivers side....when tightning I get them firm then nip them an extra 1/8th of a turn.

I think the most awkward plugs are the drivers side as you've got the heater hoses and switch to avoid aswell as abs gear if you've got that fitted.

Also degrease around the plugs with a spray on degresser and hose off before removing the plugs to avoid any built up crap around the plugs falling into the motor...and if your memory aint so good only do one plug at a time to avoid mixing up your plug leads and cylinders....

lesovers

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe Sedan, VS II Wagon
The genuine Holden plugs are the cheapest and the best (they are almost the same as NGK plugs). The gap is already done for you at 1.5mm.

Les

Notorious

Notoriou$
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2 3.8L
I got boshe plugs... easy job fitting just a pain cause there's not alot of room

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
I use the Nippon Denso plugs available from Toyota(for lexcen), i find they work better and last longer than the GM ones, they are about $3.60-$4(got mine for $22 a set)depending on dealer, i just did mine on w/e , had bosch super in b4, they worked pretty good, but getting bit old now, just remember the right order of ur leads and ull b right, i got mine set to 1.5 as specified on the left strut tower and by Nippon Denso for my engine

also be careful putting new ones in not to cross-thread the hole in the block(very $$$ to repair), and not to bend the plug or crack the white ceramic insulator as i leant the hard way, did that in the vp , started it up , was missfiring, backfiring, drove like **** but had to buy a new plug , all because i bent the bit that connects to the leads on one plug