Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

my tappits wont shut up in my vs berlina deos anyone now how to shut them up???

lestat21

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vs berlina
after about 30 seconds of having the engine on my tappits start taping LOADLY ive tried flushing the engine and oil change and there still tapping does enyone now how to shut them up or if its a big problem

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
How many - like 2 or 6 or from both cylinder banks?...how many Ks on the motor?

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Try using different oil making sure you oil is topped up first, if all fails then replace them.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
common problem in the V6 commodores!
either replace them or try some nulon lifter free up and see how that goes!
as has been said before, make sure your oil level is topped up, i usually have mine a fraction over full!

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
lestat18 said:
after about 30 seconds of having the engine on my tappits start taping LOADLY ive tried flushing the engine and oil change and there still tapping does enyone now how to shut them up or if its a big problem

Are you sure it's the tappets ? The injectors themselves make a similar sound, just not as loud.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
the V6 engines are known for having noisy lifters, especially the ecotec 6's!

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
Make sure that you have adequate oil pressure that the relief valve is not stuck open or has a broken spring. If the pump is sucking air because of a leak in the inlet side of the pump then the lifters will never bleed out. If the above was the case then most of the lifters would make a noise. If just one or two make a noise then you could blame the lifter, particularly on high mileage. If it is just a couple it may be worth trying some nulon in a fresh oil change. Be wary of selecting a thicker grade oil to cure this problem as the thicker (higher grade) makles it is harder to get into the lifters. Most hydraulic lifters can be dismantled and cleaned. If you did elect to clean the lifters (bearing in mind it might not be a 100% cure) you must keep each lifters components together ie do not mix bits. You can use egg cartons to keep the parts together from each lifter. Also if you use a stethoscope or piece of plastic tubing you may be able to narrow the lifters down to the ones making a noise before you pull the engine apart to remove them.