Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering column groaning noise

ozzie_online88

I'm No Superman...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Exec
Hey guys..I have this groaning noise coming from my steering column, it only happens when ever the wheel is turned left(perfect when turning it the other way) and it doesent seem to get better/worse over time.

I have read through a bunch of threds about this but im not sure if my problem is the same because it only happens when turning one way.

Neways if someone could shed some light on my problem that would be great.

Regards..Rhys Chappel

Commodore 94 VR II Exec
Adelaide

W

wizza

lol i had the same problem! now its gone away hahah dunno what it was try moving your column around. theres a lever to the bottom left of the wheel.

:hit:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Follow the path the steering column takes thru the firewall - where it passes thru the firewall there is a plastic "grommet" which acts as a bearing for the steering column - it groans when its dry - lubricate from below with a spray or grease on end of stick or whatever. Its not terminal so no panic.

ozzie_online88

I'm No Superman...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Exec
hey hako, you wouldnt be able to give me more detailed instructions would ya? It's just, pretty much the only thing I know about cars is how to put a stereo in :hit:

clinster73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
yeah hako is right, iv ehad the same prob with my VS.
I thought it was my pwrsteer pump making the noise until i investigated more.
All you need to do is take off the plastic cover under the dash and you will see where the steering column goes through the firewall, and you'll see the plastic grommett with the steering linkage goes through, spray with WD40 or whatever and the noise will go away.

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Mine only does that when I first start the car, eventually goes away after 5 mins or so.

Matty081

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina
ermm... check the fluids