Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

how can I clean starter motor contacts

hold-on

Reaction score
Website
www.fusiongraphics.co.nz
Members Ride
2005 SV6
Anyone know How I can clean my starter motor contacts, I have been having a few starting issues...mechanic said prob a bit of corrosion on starter motor contacts so I was just wondering how I go about cleaning them

cheers

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
He's probably talking about the starter motor solenoid - the fat round thing that sits in top of the starter motor and supplies current straight from the battery to the starter motor. Officially they are a throwaway job though you can pull them apart to reverse the contacts, however if you need new contacts they are unobtainable. Next time you start the car from cold and you have these 'starting issues', turn the engine off and put your hand/fingers on the solenoid and see if it's very hot - if not the trouble may not be the solenoid. Have you checked all connections from battery to solenoid? Cheapest way to go is a starter from a wrecker or private...maybe Ebay.

hold-on

Reaction score
Website
www.fusiongraphics.co.nz
Members Ride
2005 SV6
I think I know roughly where the starter motor is....passenger side bottom of engine??????can you give me instructions on where it is and the solenoid...when i start the car from cold do i turn it off straight away, and if the solinoid is hot it is faulty????????
Cheers for your help

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I havent seen a dodgy solenoid on one of these cars yet unless its been under water ..its more likely a wiring connection or the starter relay contact.What are the symptoms?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Sounds more like a key head problem.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
That 1 to 2 second delay seems pretty common.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Have a look at where the key goes in and particularly the two contacts - maybe they're dirty and not making immediate contact. I found a new key made a lot of difference.