Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

My next car (advice needed)

Bluewildangel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt II supercharged
Gday boys,

Long time reader first time poster.
It is time to finally part with my 91 VN as it was a bit of a lemon and move on up to some thing a bit more powerful and "cooler" and have found what I think to be my next car, VS HSV CLubsport 95 white manaul (drools) i have found a couple and was wondering are these prices fair 15k for one with 110k(2nd owner) on the clock another for 13k with 140k(has 1 owner) on the clock.

Can anyone give me some advice on what car would be a smarter way to go
Also is there anyone that can give me some info about these cars ?

Cheers

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Bluewildangel said:
Gday boys,

Long time reader first time poster.
It is time to finally part with my 91 VN as it was a bit of a lemon and move on up to some thing a bit more powerful and "cooler" and have found what I think to be my next car, VS HSV CLubsport 95 white manaul (drools) i have found a couple and was wondering are these prices fair 15k for one with 110k(2nd owner) on the clock another for 13k with 140k(has 1 owner) on the clock.

Can anyone give me some advice on what car would be a smarter way to go
Also is there anyone that can give me some info about these cars ?

Cheers

Firstly I'd recommend buying from a private seller. That way you can talk to the owner face to face and ask questions. Plus there's more chance of picking up a bargain. Secondly make sure the car comes with a logbook and a full service history. You wanna be able to see that along with regular oil changes, the brakes, coolant and transmisson has been serviced. Also try to find one that is completely stock. If you find one that has extractors, 3 inch exhaust, turbos, modded chip etc, it might sound and look good but chances are it's been flogged pretty hard. Personally I wouldn't go more than $15,000 and even then it would have to be very low k's. Try to find one under 130,000k's and 14 - $15000 might be a fair price. I was lucky enough to buy a 96 supercharged calais with only 100,000'k for $10,500 last week through a private sale.

Bluewildangel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt II supercharged
hey thanks for the response the one with low ks was from a private seller and very local so i might check that out 110 k is low i guess it has ful log books and i will try some sweet talk to get a deal

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Bluewildangel said:
hey thanks for the response the one with low ks was from a private seller and very local so i might check that out 110 k is low i guess it has ful log books and i will try some sweet talk to get a deal

Is it a white one located at Castle Hill? 112,000k's for $14,900? If it is then it seems like a good deal. Only 110,000k's is very good for a 10 or 11 year old car. I've seen some vs clubbies with nearly 200,000k's and the owners want around $17 - $18,000. They're dreaming! Mine came from Castle Hill too. If you're not to sure of what to look for when checking the car out, then take someone with you that does. Best thing to do is write yourself a list of things to look for before you see it...

Check for:
*Leaks in the power steering rack;
*make sure the radiator has coolant and not just water;
*transmission fluid - check the fluid and smell it. It should be a pinkie red and if it smells burnt,thats bad;
*Ask exactly what engine oil has been used - if the services are done by a dealer or mechanic then call them and ask what they use in a VS clubbie;
*check tyre tread - if the inside rears are scrubbing badly then there could be a problem with the IRS.
*check all electrics and make sure the A/C works
* Make sure you do a REVS check before handing over any money to see that theres no finance owing on the car already. You don't want debt collectors repo'ing the car to pay someone else's debt.

I hope this gives you a few ideas of what to look for. :wave:

Bluewildangel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt II supercharged
Wow dude I was tryring not to give to much away so know one comes along to buy my future car LOL but thanks for the effort I was originally looking at a 98 vt v8 manual 93k on the clock around the same price but after i saw this i think it wins hands down and thanks for the pointers i am definately going to check this out.

so you have a vs clubbie? hows she ride? does it haul ass ;) ?

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Bluewildangel said:
so you have a vs clubbie? hows she ride? does it haul ass ;) ?

Sorry, no clubbie. Last week I picked up a 96 VSII supercharged V6 calais. Panther Mica in colour and only 100,000k's. Absolutely amazing car and only $10,500. I like the VT's but theres something special about the look of a VS. The beauty of a supercharged 6 is there is a lot of low end torque and that not everyone has one. The 5L V8's are very very nice and very good engines but you need to get the revs up a little more to feel the full force.

Bluewildangel

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt II supercharged
awsome, seriously cant wait till iget a test drive :hit: