Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Fuel Problem

Double G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
I have recently realised that my VS Berlina is chewing the fuel. I'm currently getting 16.4L/100km. I've renewed the high tension leads/spark plugs which made a slight difference. Upon inspecting the Oxy Sensors one of them was white and the other was black, so i replaced the black coloured one but didn't notice a major difference in the fuel economy. When I have the trip computer set to INST FUEL i've noticed that on the highway it shows an average of between 8.0 to 10.0L/100 but when i brake and slow down to a stop this reading increases dramatically to 99.0l/100km. This high reading occurrs every time I slow down and come to a stop. Does anyone know what may be causing this problem?

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
1 bank of fuel injectors is playing up.. dads car is doing the same thing atm, bank 2 (passenger side is running rich, while bank 1 is leaning out)
giving me the shits, will let ya know when i find the cause of the problem!
i think its got something to do with an injector solenoid not functioning properly

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Throw in a can of injector cleaner first - cheaper than anything else and usually works. Under $10 anywhere.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
actually the best bet, do a error code that can tell you if you oxygen sensor is playing up

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
fitzy2005 said:
actually the best bet, do a error code that can tell you if you oxygen sensor is playing up
Only problem there is that error codes sometimes tell you what is detecting a fault but not what is actually causing it. I prefer to go for the easy fix first and if that doesn't work then delve deeper. Most new car dealers add a can of injector cleaner every service on new cars to reduce the incidence of injector problems during the warranty period.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
Double g , my calais does the same thing when i slow down to about 20km/h the fuel avg goes up and when i go below 20km/h it goes up to 99.0 L/100 when im rolling, like u said, but im getting pretty good economy in mine, 10-11L/100 in city and 7-8L/100 on fway...im also wondering if that was normal for the fuel avg to go up like that??? i changed my fuel pump, new oxy sensors and k&n panel filter , new air temp sensor and throttle body clean

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
Double G said:
when i brake and slow down to a stop this reading increases dramatically to 99.0l/100km. This high reading occurrs every time I slow down and come to a stop. Does anyone know what may be causing this problem?
No problem there, it's a calculation that's working perfectly. The calculation over a time period is:

instantaneous fuel usage = (litres used) divided by (distance travelled).

As the distance travelled gets smaller (ie while braking), your instantaneous fuel usage will get higher because you're still using fuel while not going far. If you have a small denominator (the number on the bottom) the result of the calculation will get higher. As you reach zero distance travelled when you stop, the actual inst. fuel becomes infinity because you're using fuel and literally going nowhere!! The reading can't show infinity so it stops at 99L/100km.

My WHII gets around this false high reading by switching over to Litres per hour when I come to a stop. It then reverts back to L/100km when the car starts moving again.

Anyway, doesn't solve your problem of high fuel usage. Unless you're a real leadfoot 16.4 is too high for a V6. Wish I could help you but the V6 isn't my specialty.

Mark.