Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

orange wire and orange white trace wire - which is "+", which is "-"

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
hey hey, i'm looking at hte wiring up at my interior roof light and i have an orange wire and an orange wire with a white trace... which is the positive and which is the negative wire???
Thanks.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Use a multimeter or a test lamp.

I will take a look at the gregorys manual tommorow morning if someone doesnt get back to you tonight.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
They're both positive - the lamp unit is earthed at the unit. I think the orange/white one comes from the electronics whilst the orange(/black) is +12v all the time.

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
There's no orange black... just a solid orange and an orange with white trace. Earthed at the unit??? how do you mean??? i've got a friend that tapped neons into the connection either side (one for positive, one for negative) and they worked.. if they were both positive you couldn't do this... anyone have an explanation? Thanks.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The Gregories shows two wires going to the "front courtesy lamp and map lamps"
and the colours are Orange/black and orange white. It also shows the traditional method to show the unit is earthed (thru the screws holding the lamp itself). Following the wires it looks like the orange/black wire has +12v all the time. This is from Gregory manual No 268 and if the actual wiring is orange and not orange/black as per the manual then all I can say is I'm sorry but the manual is wrong.

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
nah man i much appreciate your help... I think i've found my answer here...
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=6499&highlight=roof+lite

Looks as though the solid orange is positive and orange white is negative... I had a look at my gregory's too but didn't see that combination of "O" on one side and "OW" on the other side anywhere on the wiring diagram so i didn't know what the roof light was supposed to be..

Thanks again mate.

AnthsVSLexcen

Reaction score
man i did mine by just connecting the negative wire (from neon) to the orange/white wire and the power wire to the orange wire. all i did was cut back the plasic from the orange wires and join the neon wires to it bit of solder then taped it back up. now when i open my doors or flick the switch thats on the headlights up (to turn on interior lights) the neons and interior light turn on and wen i close doors it turns off. basically it does what the normal interior light would do.

S

Shannon6000

how did you run ur wires from the neon under the roof linning?

S

Shannon6000

you could always connect neon positive wire to fuse box and negative to anything metal

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
AnthsVSLexcen said:
man i did mine by just connecting the negative wire (from neon) to the orange/white wire and the power wire to the orange wire. all i did was cut back the plasic from the orange wires and join the neon wires to it bit of solder then taped it back up. now when i open my doors or flick the switch thats on the headlights up (to turn on interior lights) the neons and interior light turn on and wen i close doors it turns off. basically it does what the normal interior light would do.

Mate, just curious what happens if you flick the switch 'on' whilst the door is open ?