Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help Needed for single mother

cbb01

Reaction score
Members Ride
SUPERCHARGED VP COMMODORE
Ok my wife has a friend who is a single mother of three and needs harmonic balancer replaced ASAP She is in Redbank in Brisbane

Is there anyone out there who has a second hand one lying around as she doesn't have much $ ( she is struggling to come up with the $75 quoted from wreckers just to buy ) and also anyone that can spare some time to help her.:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

I would be more than happy to shout some drinks and whatever for any help.

Thanks all and everyone:hit:

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
id do it for you/her if you were in SA... goto sprints and buy a new one for $50 - $60... second hand ones are at the end of life span and will stuff up sooner rather than later

its a simple job but witout a rattle gun your up **** creek... you can however do it dodgey mechanics style by using a long pipe over a ratchet and putting a rug over the side of the engine bay and then cranking the engine over to crack that big nut..

however you need a really good battery and a good starter to have the power to do this and ive only tried it once when i was in a tight situation and it didnt have the power to crack mine..

a friend with a rattle gun could do the job in 5 mins

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Wish I could help cbb01 but I'm in Townsville. Good of you to help her. Good Luck.

cbb01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Where would be the best place in Brisbane/Ipswich for her to go for a new one. My wife took her out and they got quoted over $150 for the part alone and $90 to fit ( Which i thought was way to steep ) I am just trying to get her some help as i cant as i am working 60 -70 hours a week 6 - 7 days a week. Thanks again everyone

By the way it is a VR if it makes any difference

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Try one of the many wreckers around Ipswich - most will remove and refit the part if you can drive/tow the car to them or they will know someone who will do it from their backyard.

sleepyvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive S2
Hey guys i might be able to get on to a second hand one for next to nix if there is anyopne can fit it for the lady as i also work long days 6 days a week.
if any one can help her fit it then feel free to pm me and i will chase up the balancer.

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
No thats about the going rate now for harmonic balancers as I had to fit one the other day to a customers car. The reason the cost has gone up is that they are no longer doing the reco units and only selling brand new ones!! So the price is right on the money and not excessive. Plus on a VS you have to remove all the power steering resevoir to remove the fan (V6) to gain better access to the crankshaft bolt (Pain) So the money the repairer quoted is not excessive. What is excessive is your expectation for someone with training to do the bloody job for nicks. You covering the warranty if the unit shits itself or theres damage to the woodruff key????
Dont pick on the repairers we have a tuff enough time of it as is. If she was in NSW I would be happy to fit for some lunch and a beer.

cbb01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks sleepyVS any help is greatly appreciated.
If you pm me your address i can send a couriers bag to you to send to her so no traveling to Ipswich for you either let me know ( i have an account with couriers).

I will then try to fit it for her next week .

Cheers

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
bloody harmonic balancers... heaps of crap.... don't get me started!
$150 is spot on from the auto shops.
I would have to agree with HDT_aero, second hand ones are at the end of their lifespan. I know from a mates experience.
good to see some of us coming to the help of a single mother etc.
need to see more of it.
some of em' rort the system, but some of them do it quite tough.

cbb01

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah she is doing it tough at the moment the ex is trying for custody (full custody) but she is the one who looks after them all so hopefully she should be right . Anyway thanks again guys ( sorry and girls )