Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Interior Fan not working

1996vsman

Hi Guys/Gals

For a while now my interior fan does not work. Does not matter if it is summer or winter. Originally intermittley stopped and started for no reason, bit of a hit and miss if it worked. Now the fan does not work at all and has not for about 3 weeks. If I look at the dash and put on the air con and the rear demister, if they light up I know the fan will work, but if thery but dont light up, I know the fan will not work.

Read a few posts on this, but am a little confused. In my case the fan is not working at all.
Could it a fuse?
A resistor?
Is the now lights on the air/rear demister lights a lead to what the problem may be ?
What should I be checking?

I need to get this fixed asap, so any leads would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
the fan speed relay in the engine bay has packed up, bout $30 to replace it, takes 2 seconds

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
the fan speed resistor isnt the cause of the problem, because his fan doesnt work at all. if it was the resistor, it would work on high, but not the lower speeds, as there is no resistance lowering the speed

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6

1996vsman

Guys

Yes the fan does not work at all !!! No speeds at all. Any relevance with the rear demistor light and air con light not coming on when the fan is not working ?
Also are the relays the sqaure black boxes, excuse me i am not electronically/mechanically minded !!!
Cheers

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Yes they are - and the one you want is marked "blower" - located under the bonnet near the battery. Swap with another to check if its OK

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Take the panel down under the steering wheel to get access to a set of relays and fuses. One relay that controls the fan is the ignition relay (The one on the far left of the four relays from memory). Swap it with another relay and see if that works. You say the problem started as an intermittent so I would sway away from the fuses.

Give this a go. If not I can give you a number of things to check and solve your problem. The air con light (assuming you mean the circle light indicating its not on) wont come on unless the fan is working. The demister also uses this ignition relay. Note also the ignition relay isnt tied in with the car engine ignition. If you get stuck tell us exactly where and I will organise a photo or sumthing. Yes relays are the black boxes.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
i say its the relays as dads vs commo had EXACTLY the same problem with the demister and a/c buttons as well! i replaced the fan speed resistor and with no success!

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
1996vsman have you solved the problem or what?