Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thermostat on a supercharged 6

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Where the heck is it?!?! I see the radiator hose on the drivers side running back to a black pipe with the bleeder valver on top... but where's the thermostat located? Anyone got a picture?

Plus is changing the coolant on a super 6 the same as the ecotec?

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
it would be directly under the bleeder valve.... presuming its like the vn's

otherwise i dunt have a clue

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
The thermostat is located at the back of the engine under the S/C U-Bend, well just off to the side but good luck getting it out with the U-Bend sill in place.

The dreaded U-Bend can be a real pain to get off, I used a whole variety of tools from the shed, from memory they were 12 - 13mm.

As for the coolant change, yep very much the same as the VS.

Let me track down a pic which should help you out a bit.

Attachments

• PICT0228.jpg
    PICT0228.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 9,442

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Scooter79 said:
Where the heck is it?!?! I see the radiator hose on the drivers side running back to a black pipe with the bleeder valver on top... but where's the thermostat located? Anyone got a picture?

Plus is changing the coolant on a super 6 the same as the ecotec?
Gregorys manual doesn't mention the supercharged models but surely you can trace the top radiator hose to where it meets the engine in the middle of the "V". All cars have the thermostat right there - even a Ford. Is this a optional supercharger as your profile says you have a VS V6 Executive which doesn't have a supercharger.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
hako said:
Gregorys manual doesn't mention the supercharged models but surely you can trace the top radiator hose to where it meets the engine in the middle of the "V". All cars have the thermostat right there - even a Ford. Is this a optional supercharger as your profile says you have a VS V6 Executive which doesn't have a supercharger.

Hako, I bought the VS supercharged calais last week and haven't got around to changing my profile. I found it this arvo. The U-bend and the throttle body has to be removed to get to it. A real pain in the butt! The ecotec's are a breeze to change the coolant... but the supercharged one is going to have to be left for the weekend. Looks like I'm going to need to invest in a VT Gregory's just for the section on the supercharged engines...

...and Darren, thanks for the photo. Where did you get it?

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
That pic was one from when I changed my thermostat over, instead of the standard one I opted for the 71 degree from FIT.

Any idea when your going to do it? ie Saturday or Sunday, I've been meaning to put together a how-to but haven't got around to it yet but I'm more than happy to see what I can knock up to get the ball rolling.

In short, your going to lose a fair bit of coolant so you may as well dump the coolant in there and do a change whilst your at it. I'm doing all this from memory, it's been a number of months since I did mine so portions of it might be slightly incorrect but should be a good enough guide for you to work with.

You'll need a whole variety of tools including
Screwdrivers (Phillips / Flathead)
1/4" Socket Set
1/2" Socket Set
Flat file
Emery paper + Scraper
Soft blow hammer
Stubby Spanners - See here for more details

There isn't too much which can go wrong but drawing diagrams and / or labels as things are about to come off can easily helpful when placing things like vacuum lines back on as it's very easy to forget where they belong.

Once you have the top airbox, MAF sensor along with the wiring out of the way it's then time to get stuck into the throttle body, from memory there was 3 nuts on the cruise / throttle cable which were around the 10mm, simply swing this out of the way and then remove the 3 remaining nuts (12mm) from the throttle body, this may need a very slight tap with a soft blow hammer eitherside to dislodge but remember there is a gasket in place which can be destroyed easily.

After all of the above it's time to attack the U-Bend, this for me was the most frustration part getting something to fit back near the firewall. This is where I found the stubby spanners absolutely brilliant! (From memory 13mm), I tied a piece of rope around the open ended end which will prevent it from getting lost under the car (I know from personal experience), you'll thank me later for that tip :D If you head in the direction of the stubby spanners grab some rag and wrap around it as they are fairly tight remembering you don't have a great deal of leverage at your disposal with those little things but they do the job nicely.

Once your all done at this point undo the final 2 remaining bolts from the thermostat housing, another slight tap with a soft blow hammer might be useful here as they often get stuck.

At this point your left with a mere thermostat infront of you with what appears to be a seal, it's fairly rigid so becareful as I split mine and ended up using some blue substance which eludes me by name but that has done the trick since. Using a small flat head screwdriver prise the seal up and remove the thermostat, this took a fair bit of patience.

Not much more left to do other than to clean all the mating faces, stuff rag inside where the thermostat sat and clean the face using a scraper for the bigger stuff and finally a file with some emery paper around it, repeat this process with the thermostat housing so it's nice and smooth.

Now all that's left to do is replace everything back as it is.

If you have any queries by all means fire them up.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
Darren, you're a champ. This should be made a sticky somewhere. There just isn't enough on servicing the supercharged 6's. Having just bought the 96 calais which is only 100,000k's old, I'm going to keep doing every logbook service but do it myself. It's been 2 years since the coolant was touched so it's time again. I do have another question though... Is it really necessary to replace the thermostat every coolant service?

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Scooter79 said:
Darren, you're a champ. This should be made a sticky somewhere. There just isn't enough on servicing the supercharged 6's. Having just bought the 96 calais which is only 100,000k's old, I'm going to keep doing every logbook service but do it myself. It's been 2 years since the coolant was touched so it's time again. I do have another question though... Is it really necessary to replace the thermostat every coolant service?

I always change it over, for the sake of $10, its cheap insurance. Make sure you use the proper 50/50 mix of genuine coolant concentrate and water. From memory the supercharged V6 has 3 bleed points, so you might want to check those out too.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Now I've got the bulk of it up I will expand on it and pop it up in the How-To section, it's not quite at the stage of 'Blind man freddy can do it' but it's a good damn good start.

It's not really necessary but as mentioned by Harvs82 it's cheap insurance and worth the effort in my book.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
I finally attempted it today. The throttle body was easy. Same as the ecotec. But the U-bend on the supercharger was bloody rediculous! There was just no room to do anything! I tried everything, approaching it from different directions and nothing. I gave up and thought "stuff it!". Reassembled the throttle body, then flushed and changed the old coolant. The thermostat does need doing because it's never been done in 100,000k's (the guy I bought it from gave me a folder with every service receipt for everything ever done). Looks like I'll be ringing around Monday getting prices for someone to do it. I'll say "here's the spare coolant, here's the thermostat and gasket, good luck".