Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

'96 VS Exec S2 aftermarket Alarm Install

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
'96 VS Exec S2 Alarm Install

Hey guys, i did a quick search but couldnt find any information useful to me
anyway, i am wanting to install an alarm in my '96 VS exec SII, and ive been told that it has no stock/factory alarm, just an immoboliser which i can believe cause ive tried setting the alarm off and nothing happens.
Now, i wanna get the Viper Alarm 791XV model alarm(link at bottom) and ive read that because of the BCM in some cars you cant and need an upgrade alarm or re-write the BCM or something like that. but seeing as that my car doesnt have an alarm i dont think it should be fine yes??
how will it work with the immobolisers that are with the new alarm and the one stock on there already?
And if anyone knows how much it would cost to install professionally could they let me know? or if its not to hard i might attempt it myself
And if anyone else has this alarm what do they think of it?

Link to alarm: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VIPER-791XV-...itemZ4614486984QQcategoryZ31250QQcmdZViewItem

Thankz for any help
Nick:drink:

Last edited:

AnthsVSLexcen

Reaction score
Hey mate i got that exact alarm fitted to my car. it cost me $100 for installation. they need one of your keys to chop up so they can bypass the bcm (well thats wat the guy told me) but thats if you want the remote start and turbo timer. oh and so that you know, if you get that one from the usa, you may want to get a backup battery coz it doesnt come with one

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
AnthsVSLexcen said:
Hey mate i got that exact alarm fitted to my car. it cost me $100 for installation. they need one of your keys to chop up so they can bypass the bcm (well thats wat the guy told me) but thats if you want the remote start and turbo timer. oh and so that you know, if you get that one from the usa, you may want to get a backup battery coz it doesnt come with one
Thankz for the reply mate. im guessing u have a vs exec too?
where did you get it installed from?
what do you mean by, they need one of the keys to chop up? i dont need the turbo timer as i dont have a turbo, i just want the remote start
where did you get yours from and how much?
i prob wont be getting that one from the USA, it was just the first link that turned up in eBay theres a guy near me that is selling them with the back-up battery so should be good

Last edited:

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
anybody else got an idea or any help?

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
The reason they say you need an upgrade alarm is related to the central locking. I had a problem where I tried to install a Warlock alarm that was left over from my VN into my VS. So-called "upgrade" alarms have inputs that accept a signal from your existing central locking and disables the alarm.

Why would you want this I hear you ask? because its quite simply a pain in the a$$ having to carry 2 keyfobs (alarm + standard key) and push 2 buttons to get into your car.

All you need to do is make sure whatever alarm you get has INPUTS from existing central locking and it will work out for you.

By the way... if anyone finds a cheap alarm/immobiliser that DOES, please let me know!! I still haven't fixed this problem in my own VS.

B

built4girls

I had ended up getting a similar alarm in my VS.

I brought one with remote start and all that other crap on it but it was not possable to get it to remotely start as the ket must make contact with the ignition barrel to de-activate the immobiliser.

I got a Viper installed for $100, no chopping of keys or anything like that. It just works off of the central locking.

Now i am having troubles cos one of the locks doesnt always go down so the alarm wont activate!!!!!:b:

Alarms......... you gotta have them but boy are they a pain in the ass!

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Try Cobra alarms, not cheap but how much do you want to keep your car ? anything from $1500 to $1800 fitted, due to their fitting precision and theft gaurantee it's "not" advised one does it themself.

My VS has one and it protects everything and then some, even a window left down a bit or broken will set it off, + jacking the car inc all/any movement, every opening, active and infared internal movement sensors, cutting a wire will set it off and it won't shut up, never mind permanently immobilising the car to the mongrel trying to take it.

Meanwhile the cops have come.

Cobra make just engine immobilisers if wanted, their web site is simple to find.

You get what you pay for with everything, even if it was pre fitted to the car, I'll claim it.

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
any one else got an idea?

TheKMan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Hey guys,
I'm new to the forum, more of a reader than a poster.. But I'm looking at installing a Rhino alarm from my previous car into my VS Acclaim, there's a procedure to have the alarm learn new remote codes for arming and disarming. Could you install the alarm, then have it learn the remote codes from your VS unl****/lock key buttons? That seems like it'd solve a few problems, wouldn't have to hook it up to central locking or immobiliser, as they'll be armed and disarmed with the same remote codes

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 SS V Z Series Manaul Sportwagon
AHHHH CRAP!...I just bought one of those 791XV alarms off ebay...the one from the usa...it should be here in like a couple of days now...well i just got my system installed at autobarn...I know them all really well down there...and they are all mates of my dads...I can get it installed for $120 but ive been to other places and they all say $250...they dont need a spare key...just the keypad bit...it is to over ride your original factory immobiliser...****...what is this about the backup battery...? how much are they and where do you get them...? i can never just get something that works the first time...always the run around...by the way...does the remote start on yours work because I know it sounds stupid but apart from me being able to sleep better at night...ive been real excited about getting it for that feature...