Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff ratios ?

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
What is the std ratio on a wagon against the std sedan, V8's excluded as they would be around 2.7 or less.

My manual says only one reference for the sedan at 3.08, so what difference could one expect with gear changes and speedo readings if I put a sedan diff in the wagon, or are they the same but for the LSD V8 diff.

Someone must have done a diff change to get more speed, I certainly did when younger, if so have you still got the stock diff in the shed ?

I need it for cash money. :D

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec,honda civic,mazda626
they are not gonna fit straight in slightly different i think

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
I know they will fit, the ratio is the problem.

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
you sure about that i was going to put a vs series 3 v6 lsd in my sedan and i asked a few blokes and they said only s/w and utes are the same somthings not right?

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Series 1 for everything here, motors are different matter, mine is fine.

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok no worrys what kind of ratio you goin

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
one that turns with no noise, simple as that.

stockvp

Reaction score
Members Ride
so you gonna go a 9' diff conversion

sleeper5L

No substitute for CUBES
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR BT1
I'm pretty sure that all the wagons sedans and utes from the VR-VS have the same diff ratio...

3.08:1

This includes the V8's.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
All solved, managed to get one very local from a VS wagon with it's history "$420 fitted" and gauranteed, so I have to do nothing but nurse the thing 10 kms, every wrecker said they were different ratios, so one has to defer to others that play with em every day, but that is not a problem now.

Older holdens all had a range of diffs to pick from, std was said to be 2.8? to 2.99, and down to 3.08for good acceleration and up to 2.78 for top speed, I know as I have tried different diffs in order to change final ratios, roughly a 8-10 mph difference between the ratios for the older cars.

The part numbers for the new tranny speed sensors kinda gives it away, several are available.

While offers were cheaper there is the huge and expensive drama of shipping a complete diff thousands of kms, not a cheap or easy thing to do.

It's not rocket science, a V8 does less revs but goes faster with the same ratios in the gear box, that gives that away.
The V8 centre uses the same axels and housing, unless the rear end is from a different type of holden, considering my brother works in Cleveland for Toyota in the spare parts, the Lexen while essentially a holden with Toyota badges has different part numbers for the crownwheel/pinion sets.

New diff rebuilds range from $1,000 way up to $2000 for everything incliuding new wheel bearings, but that's local prices "in Rocky" no one here would take it on.

Seems the wagon and ute have a different shock, I knew that, but also it's mounting points are different on the sedan, so what I got was off a VS wagon so all will fit NP.

Thanks anyway

Last edited: