Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr commodore 3.8 air intake probs help!!!!

M

metalmulishamat

i am having a problem with the air intake on my 3.8 ltr engine. i recenlty took the bell housing (i think, or some rough idle thing) out of the engine because i was told it would give it better performance, ne ways when i start the car it sounds like its running on 3 cylanders and blows heaps of smoke (grey!) until the engine managment light comes on and the car runs perfect. i have tried re setting the IAC by holding the revs at 3000rpm for 8 seconds but that doesnt work, is there any other way to reset the IAC?????? or ne way to fix this problem????

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
check the hose that follow up the firewall into the MAP sensor thats prolly unplugged, make sure everything is securely plugged in

2_SeeK_U

Wheels on the bus go round and round...
Reaction score
Website
www.users.bigpond.net.au
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore II
Yeah.. for smoke to come pouring out it sounds like the engine is running rich. As fitzy said, check that everything is tight and connected. Check your air intake hose is all connected and no gaps/holes have occured as a vacum needs to occur within the manifold to run right.

P

Pauly2478

hey sameo happened to me to
i have no idea i just checked everything was ok (tryed to drive it down the road) kept stallin and ****, got to fuel station and it just picked up and went???? have no idea (maybee she smelt the premium???):driving:

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
go over the whole setup a few times, checking for loose/disconnected hoses, there's a few in hiding too.....
then remove the engine fuse or disconnect battery (this will reset the ECU then reconnect, and run engine to 3000 rpm for about 15-20 secs.

tell us how it goes

Centurion

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore V6 3.8lt Manual
TPS plug maybe?