Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

FE2 - What do I need?

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Ok... so it's pretty obvious what I'm asking :p

If I want to drop to FE2 springs, from stock springs, what do I need, and how easy are they to install? Keep in mind I really have no idea what I'm doing :)

Can I get away with JUST getting the springs? Or will i need short shocks and an adj panhard rod.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I don't know what it would cost but I have a BTI with the FE2 suspension - didn't even know it was fitted when I bought the car but bought the car because it handled totally different to the other Commodores I had driven when looking to buy one. I have 3 sons who all have trouble hanging on to their licenses and they all are very impressed with how my Commo handles. So as an old bastard going on the advice of my sons, I'd say the FE2 suspension has to be good. (previous car was a Jag XJ6 and I'd say the Commo is about even). I just happened to be lucky ending up with one though I'm pretty sure the FE2 susp could be improved upon by a smart suspension person.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
mattman said:
Ok... so it's pretty obvious what I'm asking :p

If I want to drop to FE2 springs, from stock springs, what do I need, and how easy are they to install? Keep in mind I really have no idea what I'm doing :)

Can I get away with JUST getting the springs? Or will i need short shocks and an adj panhard rod.

It was my understanding that FE2 suspension provides the same ride height as standard, but improvedhandling characteristics - the struts are an upgraded gas and oil filled unit (provided by munroe) where the standard struts are just oil and designed more with comfort in mind (so sloppy)

Fitting rear struts and/or springs is easy as - just need a jack, axle stands and a coupla spanners - one nut top and bottom of each strut.

The front is a bit trickier - they are a macpherson strut assembly - so the strut and springs are kind of one unit - and you need spring compressors to seperate. It's also a lot trickier than the back - gotta disconnect the brakes etc etc, and you need a wheel alignment as soon as it's all back together.

Replacing just the springs will not achieve much.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Ok so should still go full springs/shocks/struts and get someone to do it then?

FE2 is lower... but not as low as most "lowered" springs. I'm looking for handling as well as a bit lower, so FE2 sounds the go for me...

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
mattman said:
Ok so should still go full springs/shocks/struts and get someone to do it then?

FE2 is lower... but not as low as most "lowered" springs. I'm looking for handling as well as a bit lower, so FE2 sounds the go for me...

FE2 springs are pretty cheap new genuine. Dunno about the struts.

Suggest you do the rear yourself and then get the front done.

Definately do the springs and struts together.

Good luck - and let us know how it turns out!

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Tom04 said:
im also interested an how much would they cost

About $30 each from holden. I looked into it today - FE2 struts are same size as standard, so FE2 springs can be fitted to standard shocks. Stuff easy fitting the rear, but as I said before, pain in the butt to fit the front - and best to do the front struts at the same time as doing the front springs.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
I'm quite sure FE2 sits lower.. so i'm not sure how they run the same struts :S I know they use Monroe GT Gas in the rears (not sure if they are short or standard length) but FE2 definitely sits lower..

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
I brought a set of FE2 front struts and rear shocks from off EBAY for $180.

supposedly they were brand spankers. when I got them they appeared brand new anyhow. wonder where they were stolen (?) from!

I didn't have the $$$ at the time so just replaced front and rear shocks with the FE2 units. Seems to handle better, even with the standard springs in.

Didn't get alignment done afterwards, now my front tyres have worn a bit on the outside. shall swap them with the back wheels as the IRS camber will wear them on the inside to even the wear out!

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
mattman said:
I'm quite sure FE2 sits lower.. so i'm not sure how they run the same struts :S I know they use Monroe GT Gas in the rears (not sure if they are short or standard length) but FE2 definitely sits lower..

FE2 sits lower 'cause the springs are shorter - though the struts are the same length according to the guy I spoke to today.