Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

bonnet wont close

PerceptionTwin

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
'94 VR UTE
i have a VR ute and the bonnet release has been very tempremental lately.. have to pull it a few times to get it to pop open... today i had a bit of trouble getting it to even do that, now i cant get it to close..

its like the bit with the spring on it wont stay locked in ?

any ideas?

cheers

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
there is a way you can adjust the height of the spring. i did it to my VN bonnet when it had the same problem.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Squirt some crc or rp7 around on your bonnet latching mechanism infront of your radiator ( the bit the striker on the hood goes into)...that should loosen it up... I noticed mine was taking a few pulls...that seemed to fix it...

It's just your mechanism having a seizure or your cable seizing.... fix it now with a bit of lubricant before you can't open your bonnet... and end up snapping the cable.

PerceptionTwin

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
'94 VR UTE
well as i said i couldnt open the bonnet today. i need a friend to help me. and now i cant get it closed...

i will look into adjusting the spring

edit: oh and i have tried some rp7 but still wont go in

i dont think there is anything wrong with the cable. because when its open and you pull the cable you can see the latch move pretty freely

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Maybe when it was stuck you stretched the cable trying to get the hood to pop ?

You may need to readjust the cable at the latch...as when you pull it aint disengaging fully thats why you need someone pushing on the hood to help it move... also the distance from your bonnet to the washer on the end of the spring on the pin should be approx 52mm.

hope that helps you out

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Yea as sixshooter said - 52mm for the bolt on the end of the spring. Mine was doing the same. Try to adjust it and it was solid as buggery. Got a set or clamps around the bolt and a screwdriver in the end until she finally budged. Made a quick 52mm measurement and tried it, havent had a problem since. Gregorys manual have a page on it including diagram. Do a search tho as we have covered this before.