Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS power steering quiz

V

VSLJVKLHVN

hey all, newbie poster, I have just put a seal kit in my VS Berlina (good old leaky seal!) but now I have no power steering. I have stripped the pump again to make sure I didn't get something wrong, have checked and all vanes seem to be right way round etc? Can anyone suggest what to look for?

lesovers

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe Sedan, VS II Wagon
VSLJVKLHVN,

I just changed my power steering pump, just got an exchange one for $146 and it worked just fine. I noticed the reserve container had a lot of dirt in it when I cleaned it out.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Yep, I'll agree with that. Just bin the old one and get a reconditioned one. I picked mine up for $160 with a two year warranty, and 25,000kms later I haven't looked back, its heaps quieter than the old one!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
VSLJVKLHVN said:
hey all, newbie poster, I have just put a seal kit in my VS Berlina (good old leaky seal!) but now I have no power steering. I have stripped the pump again to make sure I didn't get something wrong, have checked and all vanes seem to be right way round etc? Can anyone suggest what to look for?
You don't have an airlock or something like that? - never pulled one apart but I'd imagine you could loosen off the discharge pipe and see if oil sprays out or loosen the suction side and see if it returns from the rack. It has to be something simple I hope.

V

VSLJVKLHVN

Yeah, I think I may just do that....

I checked for air locks, bled system but still no go...:b:

thanks for help all

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
For the pump to work the vanes fly out with centrifugal force intially until it develops pressure and oil forces its way behind vanes. Is the relief valve assembled correctly and not sticking? The end plate assembled correctly? Generally when you assemble the pump use liberal amounts of oil.

V

VSLJVKLHVN

Hey Don,

filled pump with oil on assembly, turned shaft by hand and oil pumped up into top cavity ok. replaced cover and circlip. I did remove the relief to replace the o'ring and cleaned with solvent and air. it appears to only go one way so I'm pretty sure I have assembled correctly. The vanes are all installed correctly, the pipes are all ok so it really only leaves the relief valve being at fault. I have a second hand unit coming tommorow to try.

thanks for reply:)

V

VSLJVKLHVN

ok, I have fixed my power steering problem. Turns out when the relief valve in the pump is removed and you dont catch it in time as it springs skyward from the pressure of the spring underneath, then you have no idea which way round it originally was.....:hit:

I just pulled the relief valve out, spun it round and chucked it back in (slot outwards) and everything is all good with the world!!!!!!:b:

Hope this helps someone else out someday