Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Gear Knob

B

benhawkins

Hey guys,
I wanna replace my VR Auto gear knob with a better one, are the gear knobs able to be taken off in anyway other than force?

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
To remove the knob it is not really a matter of force - more a case of finesse.

Grab the knob at the bottom, towards the back and pull back up and over the top of the stick - a little bit of jiggling also helps.

They are available aftermarket in leather woodgrain look and carbon fibre look that I know of - about $90, but IMHO the don't look real flash. The best I reckon is genuine - there is a hsv one - with logo, and I think a leather one from the statesman (?) that look schmick - dunno about cost\availability though.

If your knob looks cruddy cause it's used/abused - get a stock genuine one off ebay - about $30. I bought a complete selector unit and asked the guy to just post me the knob, and he only charged postage on the knob.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
is it really that easy to get the knob off??? cos i thought u had to pull pin out and so on...from holden u can get the senator ones(leather) for approx $75, look real good

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Jamie_87 said:
is it really that easy to get the knob off???

Absolutely. Easy as.

Jamie_87 said:
cos i thought u had to pull pin out and so on...

Not at all.

Jamie_87 said:
from holden u can get the senator ones(leather) for approx $75, look real good

That's the one - they look better than the $90 ones off ebay.

raZel

The ride for life
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V - V8
This is gonna sound really stupid but are there aftermarket gear nobs for an auto commo, or can you only use the senentor, statesman etc gear nobs...

cheers
raZel :thumbsup:

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
Fletch_QLD said:
They are available aftermarket in leather woodgrain look and carbon fibre look that I know of - about $90, but IMHO the don't look real flash. The best I reckon is genuine - there is a hsv one - with logo, and I think a leather one from the statesman (?) that look schmick - dunno about cost\availability though.

Yes. they are available in aftermarket razel, as mentioned above

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
I'm getting a price/part number on the senny auto shifter knob... will post tomorrow :)

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Can you give a pic as well.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Haven't actually been able to find a pic... will hunt around more tonight when I get home.

No prices as yet.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
the part number is available in one of the threads in the part number section of this forum , thats where i got the part number from , i contactd holden about a month ago about them and they priced me 75 bucks for one, i didnt get it cos i didnt no how to take the gear nob off...now i do :D btw thats here in sydney from suttons at chullora, shouldnt be much price diff/if any for adelaide tho