Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

fuel pump questions

daniel VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
hi guys!!! I just want to ask whether any of you guys get that real anoiying noise from the fuel pump? and if it means its on the way out? Iv been through 2 pumps in the last 2 years is that normal? hope you can help

cheers Daniel...

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
yeah its kinda normal...... can be caused by a cpl of things.....

running ur tank low will cause the pump to burn and whine

also condensation in the pump causes it too whine - this mostly happens on duel fuel cars though......

if its just whinning the pump should last you.... thats if you can put up with the sound....

ive gone through two pumps also the last one i couldnt stand the whinning so i replaced it once more and we never run the tank low now......

hint of advice clean your fuel lines and fuel tank out when ur replacing the pump......

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
GT42R forced JZA80 Supra and VT Wagon
I've been through 3 in under a year. LPG is out now, so hopefully that should rectify it.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
The fix is pretty simple, treat 1/4 as empty, "always" as the fuel pump will suck air when at a steep angle or with high cornering speeds, it only takes a few seconds for some to crap out.

Of course high volume external fuel fumps that are adjustable for pressure could be used in the engine bay or wherever they fit best, in line pumps are not that hard to get, of course the removal of the internal pump to a conventional AKA spike "pick up" may be needed.

If the old pump does not allow fuel through a dissabled pump or if it's faulty / causing restriction remove it so the new spike will lay on the bottom of the tank it should also be fitted with a SS mesh strainer keeping the lowest point of the pickup about 1/4" above the bottom of the tank for water contamination, (metho will fix that) half a cup into the tank now and then makes the water mix with the fuel.

daniel VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
thanks for that info. do you guys think i should change it cos its still under warrenty and just say its to noisy. Or should i just stick it out and wait for it to **** itself?

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
check ur warranty info... cause i know that the Delco i got wouldnt be warranted if it was found to be clogged or burnt due to personal neglect...... ie. running tank low.... and gas condensation problems......

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Warranty is a great thing if you have it, but as said if they think your the one at fault by running the tank well past the low fuel alarm, then you may be stuck up the creek and up for a new pump.

BUT, most models have a low fuel alarm, at least my VS does, and if it was meant that you were to fill up at 1/4 tank they would tell you somewhere in the users manual to do so, ignorance can be an excuse if you were not told at any time.

I would push for the warranty repair especially if the low fuel alarm never went off, mine did it once but I was only 50 yards from a servo, my pump sounds like a very quiet electric motor and is only heard faintly with the radio off and windows up when first turning on the ignition where it fills and pressurises the fuel rail.

The light on the dash lights up when the low fuel alarn goes off, and goes out when you have fuel in the tank showing you the system is ready to start.

Leave your handbrake on lightly for 100 yards, it's the same alarm and you definitely won't miss it, the thing scared the crap outa me.

daniel VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim S2
the weird thing is, i never run it under 1/4. and it still makes that stupid annoying noise. i just dont wana get stuck on the road again!!!

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
what brand of pump you got did u buy???

if ur not running the tank dry then i would pressume you have **** in your fuel lines or in the bottom of the tank

last time the pump was changed did u clean the tank as well???

in what sort of condition was the pump in when you took it out???

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Try for the warranty in that case, many commodore pumps have died so it may well be a GMH faulty part, as it's said, "ask and ye might receive" do nothing and that's what U get. :D