Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Could be usefull info if changing diffs

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Having just put a LSD and housing from a VN into my VS all is not the same as one may think, so don't damage the brake lines off your VS diff as you will need them, the VN has different size threads on "all" brake line connections from the caliper to the body.

Add to that the LSD centre housing has no drain hole, the rear plate has to be removed just to change the oil so buy a new gasket before going home, bugger.

Of course that will apply with brake lines the same when putting VS rear ends into a VN.

Interesting.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
mines got a drain hole:unsure: its the bottom bolt that has to be taken out mine was just full of gunk the first time i went to change the oil but nothing a thin long centre punch didnt fix

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Must be a model thing ? my bottom bolt goes into solid casting, the screwdriver I shoved in came to a solid stop the same as all bolts.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
mines a standard LSD from a vn...:unsure: mines most likely been "modified" from the previous owner lol... but it definately has a drain hole

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Sorry, but I hit the driver with a hammer the hole is indeed totally blind into the casting of the housing, all are the same, whether the thing was put onto the VN from another model that could be a possibility but too hard to trace, 110% there is no drain hole, no great drama another gasket and it's fixed, pics can be given if in doubt.

Inside the hole has no smell of gear oil whatsoever, it's just a clean blind hole in the housing.

The housing is very different to look at than the VS housing, that does have a normal drain hole.

All bolt holes are identical in depth and all bolts are the same a drain hole bolt has a different washer on it, this does not, the bolt hole can be seen into the housing and on the front of the housing it has a raised section for each bolt thread.

Last edited:

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
What gear oil did you use ?

Holden recommends SAE 2090 GL-5...
wtf is 2090 ?
is ordinary SAE 90 LSD stuff good enough ?

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
LSD-90 works fine, actually what is recomended for all diffs "by the book" my guess there is that no matter the diff they assume some people have no clue and if they were not to know what diff they had, and many don't, your covered by using the LSD-90 just in case you have a LSD and don't know it.

Although the LSD should have an extra tag on the rear cover saying "approved for performance use", the other being the s/n and what ratio it is.

Tested out on the dirt and the rain on slipery tar and it does make it handle better with both rear wheels driving, the clutches are OK, it leaves two grooves on slipery surfaces, but not wanting to press the matter I have no intention to try that on the dry tar.

Never mind the specs, SAE is just short for the international Society of Automotive Engineers standard, the rest relates to weight, temperature and other tech stuff you don't need to ever know, just "don't" use a std gear oil like 80/90 or 80/140 and the like, the additives in it will make the diff clutches slip and may well damage them permanently.

Similar to, allbeit different to adding additives like teflon and other lubrication modifyers, not good in a LSD, allthough there are many types of LSD diffs and diff slip ratios up to things like the old Detroit locker and the cheaper CIG locker where the planetory gears are welded together.

Last edited: