Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power button-weird but tru!

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
I have noticed that with power button on im using less fuel(sounds like bullshit , but i aint lying!!) , on average saving about 60 or so km of fuel

(yes the switch is connected properly cos i can feel responsive difference)

would this be to less throttle being used to achieve same rpm/speed etc...??? cos in eco mode i have to push the accelerator alot more to get to the same rpm/speed

also would running the car in power mode all the time harm the car in any way??

if anyone can explain why this is , it would be great!

clinster73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
You talk to some Auto Trans mechanics and they will agree regarding keeping on the Pwr button while driving in the city. and if you dont have the Pwr button just to leave you trans. in 3rd. But as soon as you go over 80km/hr thats where the overdrive comes in to play.
I havent experimented with having the button on to see if the economy is better coz every time i have it on i get the urge to floor it all the time!! so when the party button is on my economy goes down the drain!!
Yes ill agree its got to do with the throttle and engine working more efficiently in the lower gear....

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
yeh thats what i was thinking , yeh on motorway i allways have it off cos of the overdrive , but yeh im saving fuel around the city with it on

it took alot of mind control to not give it a good ''blowing the cobwebs out" with the power button on (responsiveness so tempting),cos i really wanted to see if it was tru, but as soon as i get to the on ramp to the motor way with no one infront of me and no cars coming up on the side , i cant help but give it a punch up to 110 from 40 :D

anyone else have any insight into this??

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
the "power" button simply changes the gear shifts...as you would notice you can rev it out alot further before it changes gear when power is on.
if you dirve the same as you would with economy on there would be very little difference in fuel consumption (except on 90+kph zones)...but if you take full advantage of the extended rev range you chew it up quick smart (fuel that is....tyres too maybe,lol)

VZCalZone

now choppin the VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais, vx2 exec
my power button barely does anything. The old VL used to give you a kick in the pants but the Vx does nothing. hmmph:ranting:

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
sircruisealotVS, i have noticed a noticable difference in my fuel economy tho,this is goin over a few weeks of testing...and yes u do chew alot mroe fuel when u get the full extent of the rev range , but tyres i try not to spin anymore cos 235's arnt cheap, before with the skinnys i used to love leaving my signatures on the road, now cant afford to.

i still dont understand tho why im getting higher revs with low acceleration/throttle???? dos the computer play a part in this , maybe changing the air/fuel mixture?

vx2chopper, yeh i no what u mean i drove my mums vt and power button hardly dos anything, just makes it hold gear out a lil longer, i rekon the best thing is hookin up a supercharger to a switch , make it act like a power button , insted of increaseing responsive etc... give u an extra 40+ kilowatts,lol, if i had the money id def do it, plus it will make ppl think wtf wen ur about to race them and u flick the switch and start whirring,lol

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Sounds like some people consider it a bit of a turbo button. I read on here when we were discussing this in another post a while ago, that the power button is really only good for when you're towing. Not for more power.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
The power button activates a different transmission shif pattern, thats all, no changes to the engine calibration.

Rob

J

Joes_meat

You should try leaving the gear selector in 3rd and economy on.

You might just be lugging the engine around at 50 in 4th gear.

Morgasshk

Morgasshk
Reaction score
Website
www.personaltradingpost.com.au
Members Ride
VY Exec 3.8L Sedan 9C1 Pack
another side question....

Does it case problems/damage things, if you change between power and econo during driving? coasting or under acceleration???