Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Stalling

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Hi All,

Was driving to work this morning, sitting in peak traffic about 5 mins after I had left home, and I went to take off, and the car just stalled, no coughing or spluttering, just died straight away...

I checked for error codes when I got home, but only came up with "12" meaning all is well. Any ideas on what could be going on?

I have also had a bit of trouble starting of late, with the car turning over VERY slowly, and then firing, coughing, and stalling again. I don't know if this is related or not to what happened today.

Your comments please....

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Sorry mate. Your car stalling could be many things - battery, fuel, dfi module. Make sure you are checking the error codes correctly and there is nothing after the code 12. Otherwise you wont be able to get any help from us, there are just too many things that can cause a car to stall.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
idle air control valve, throttle position sensor, manifold absolute pressure sensor, injectors, coolant temp sensor,dfi module
the list does go on like kopper69 said

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, thats what I was afraid of, that it could be any number of different sensors. Guess I'll just have to have a play around with a few things, and go on the old process of elimination...

Cheers

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
start off at the throttle body and work your way around to the right lol

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
check regulator diapham as this will cause flooding (no error codes)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Your symptons indicate a battery on its last legs - how old is it?

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
boona15 said:
idle air control valve, throttle position sensor, manifold absolute pressure sensor, injectors, coolant temp sensor,dfi module
the list does go on like kopper69 said

TPS displays and error code

IACv will only do that if it has a bad idle (ie stalls changing reverse to drive etc)

manifold absolute pressure sensor (will run very rough like running on 5 cylinders with smoke pouring out the back)

injectors (try a bottle of injector cleaner)

coolant temp sensor are 14 bux from holden and are located behind the alternator

my car is taking a wile to start and its becuase my fuel pump needs placing, could be your problem too, but make sure the battery terminal are clean and secure.

do as much as you can do, then get a fuel pressure test done, and dfi module test done

and dfi modules i have no idea how to test them

Harvs82 said:
Yeah, thats what I was afraid of, that it could be any number of different sensors. Guess I'll just have to have a play around with a few things, and go on the old process of elimination...

Cheers

MOST of the time if it is a sensor playing up it will display as an error code

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
hako said:
Your symptons indicate a battery on its last legs - how old is it?

Battery is about 20 months old. Alternator is fine too, charging at 14.75 volts when tested from the B+ to the earth on the battery.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
OK guys,

An update on the situation. Was driving home from work this evening, car seemed to shake a little bit at the lights a couple of times, thought nothing of it.... and then driving further down the road, I was coasting, and the engine cut out again, no spluttering or anything, just straight off. Tried to start the car, but the starter motor just struggled to turn it over, and then it just cranked and cranked. Tried this 4 more times and finally got it to fire. When I got home, I checked for codes, code 12 came up first, and then code 47. Does anyone know what the story is now?

Also, when I did get the car started, I floored it off the line, and it struggled to get to 5000rpms... as though the timing was all out of wack or something... This may or may not have anything to do with the problem though....