Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starting Issue

G

Glover0

Sometimes when i turn the key it just makes a click noise and nothing happens.
Other times it cranks over fine but then revs really high for like 3-4 sec then drops down and idles at around 700.
Any suggestions please

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Need more information. What makes a click noise?? Have you checked for error codes?

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
sounds like key isnt making contact, or battery mite be flat, the reason it revs really high the drops back is the IAC valve is doing its job :)

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Yea if the click is coming from the engine I would be suspecting the battery. The instrument lights should go out when you turn the key and it makes its click. Check the battery voltage - check the terminals. Start the car and check the battery voltage. Either battery would be on its way out or the terminals arent making a good contact.

G

Glover0

When it clicks the radio turns off while holding the key turned.
But all other instruments stay on.
The click does sound like that the battery is flat but i can just return the key again and it will start perfect.
Read other threads some people were saying fuel related?
Fuel pump or regulator.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
no not if it switched your stereo off.. check your terminals are clean and secure

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I think the radio, aircon/heater, warning lights and all other ignition switched things will turn off when the ignition key is turned to "start". This is designed to give the battery full voltage. When you release the key they all come back on again. The click sound could be coming from the "start relay" located under the bonnet near the battery - to test just swap with the hi-beam or ignition relay - if this isn't making contact the starter motor will not engage. If this makes no difference then it could be the starter solenoid contacts burnt which isn't all that common and in this case the solenoid would be trying to close the contacts to allow full battery power to the starter. This click would be louder than a relay click. Good Luck.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Doubt very much its fuel pump. If you know what to listen for you can hear the fuel priming when you turn the ignition to on (without actually starting it). If you take the fuel pump relay out you will notice an absence of the sound. You need to listen very closely to hear it and if there is a bit of noise around you can miss it. That will tell you if everything is working nicely on the fuel side of things. Have you checked your battery yet?

F

flc

I had a similar problem with my first car (subaru). Ended up being the starter motor. I used to have to give it a whack or two and then it would kick over and no problem. I remember it needed the brushes or something similar cleaned.

frenzal_tom

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS2 Berlina
yeh sounds like starter problems
had the same kinda sound wif old vk