Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stinky petrol smell in VS ute

VSSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0 Ute
When left in the sun for a while a strong petrol fume smell sometimes finds its way into the cabin. This also happens occassionally when driving with the window down. Apparently this is a common problem and can be fixed by getting to the filler neck or something similar through the base of the ute tray. Normally I would jump in and start pulling bits apart but I've got to rip out a pain in the butt tray liner first. It would also help if I knew EXACTLY what I was looking for.

Any suggestions??

W

wizza

try using some of the injector cleaner, mine was doing that, ran that through and it isnt doing it anymore.

VSSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0 Ute
I think I read on this forum a while ago about someone with the same problem. A dealer mechanic provided a similar solution to the one I mentioned earlier only I don't remember the specifics. He said he'd done a few. I knew I should have saved it!! But I'll try some injector cleaner first. I used to laugh at people paying $11.00 for a bottle of that stuff. Hope it does the job.

POVRTY

building 5L VB TH 400
Reaction score
Members Ride
Wm L98 caprice
mine stinks 2 but its a sedan. i also wanna know what might help. i will try injector cleaner but my petty smell seems 2 come from then engine bay when you walk infront of the car you can only smell it sometimes.

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
the fuel line to the back of the injector banks leaks often.
Tighten it first and any other lines under the bonnet.
Clean the motor with degreaser and it should help identify where the leak is

VSSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0 Ute
Definately no fuel leaks on the Ute. I should mention it's a 5.0:driving:

kazz

Reaction score
Members Ride
My12 VE SS V REDLINE SERIES 2 UTE
Vs SS Ute

I have a SS Vs 5.0lt Ute Series III Limited Ed. I had the same problem with a fuel smell, I removed the back tray and low and be hold under the rubber, that GM put on the tanks it had rusted and had tiny pin holes in the top of the tank......Mine U my ute only has 50,000 Kms on it and is always garaged and No water in the tank. This seems to be a problem with this model. I had hell's own trouble chasing down a new tank. Finally located one at a wreckers new:-}. So I would be having a close look at your fuel tank!!!!!!!!!!! I went through this for the last 5 months and it's not fun. Good luck.

VSSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0 Ute
Thanks for the input. Now knowing the potential dramas that may lie ahead has motivated me so much more. NOT!!! Grrr...

kazz

Reaction score
Members Ride
My12 VE SS V REDLINE SERIES 2 UTE
Sorry dude, But You can get a fuel tank from Holdent in Melbourne for $330 New, but I think he only has 2 left. Genuine is about $780. It's not a problem to do the job I had a problem tracking down a tank. Don't go second hand or it will end up being a night mare. Trying to find the right tank is not easy second hand. I'v been there, just to get the ute back on the road:-}

V

vnberlwagon

I picked up a 2nd hand p/tank with sending unit from wreckers in Sunshine for $110. I am going to paint it and fit it to my wagon.
I have been told that if you "overfill" the tank that can lead to a petrol smell.