Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Taillights: Legal Tinting?

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
damez said:
Ey people i wanted a new look on my vs's tail lights so my cuz said to tint them. does any1 know if this is legal?

Not legal bro.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Whats the general go with it though. I know many people put on darker than legal tint on windows and never have a problem with the law. Is this the same as tail lights? Ofcourse if you were being a smartass to the cops they will pick on you and get you for things like that, but has anyone been picked up with them before??

V

vsclarion4u

umm actually.. they are legal. there are specifications for them like there is for windows. i think it's something like.... u have to be able to tell the difference between an orange indicator and a red break light from like 100 metres away.. but it IS legal. so go for it. u can buy the spray on tint and uze turps to get rid of it when ur sick of it.. do a search on 'tint' on this jc site and u'l find some good info..:driving:

V

vsclarion4u

oh and i have a mate who went crazy with it on his ea and was bein a smart arse. he got done coz they were way too dark.

D

dobbie

im getting tint 2moz its legal from inside but from out side its not called midnight express

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
dobbie said:
im getting tint 2moz its legal from inside but from out side its not called midnight express

Better be sure about it being legal - it even says on the can of midnight express 'for off road use only'. It'd be a bitch to get rear ended and the insurance company drops you when they notice your darkened taillights.

clinster73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
Hey Damez
In SA tinted taillights or even head lights affect the ADR's so therefore it is Illegal to tint the lights. If they were tinted from factory eg VL Calais that is ok becasue those lights were tested to conform to the ADR's for lights.
As for tint on the windows. Its 70% light emmitance for the drivers/passenger side and for the rear windows its 35%.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Tinting tail lights is LEGAL! They do however have to be visable from 200meters, which mr police man never checks just automatically canaries your ass! So dont go to dark like I did:p
AirStrike :air:

clinster73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
Hey Airstrike i was refering to the regulations that are in place for us Sth Aussies. =)