Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power window regulator problem.

nomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina wagon.
Did a search & found half the answer to my problem. Need to find the other half.

Problem came to light just after work, when the front drivers window started coming up at a 45 degree angle, back corner first. Took the door trim off after getting home to find 2 of the rivets holding the window regulator to the door broken. Found a solution how to fix by searching.

Trouble is, this is only half the problem. What has also happened is the plastic block on the front regulator arm has come out of the corresponding lift channel. It also looks like the leading edge of the window has come out of the run channel. I've once fixed this before about 30 years ago with a manual operated window, but not sure doing it with a power window.

Ideas or preferably a fix much appreciated.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
You have to drill out the other rivets and put the nylon part back into the tract and replace the securing rivets with screws and nuts .I taped out the metal of the regulator bracket as well and then put a locknut behind it to stop it lossening again.

nomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina wagon.
Thanks markovr. I found the info about using nuts & bolts to attach the 2 together in search. One of your posts. :)
It was the other part, about getting the nylon block back in the track I was having trouble with, & that's what I've now worked out. I should have read the WHOLE section in the workshop manual, after how to take the trim off. That's a fair bit more complicated than an old car, but got it done reasonably quickly. :wave:

nomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina wagon.
What a pain. :bang:
Going by what is written in the manual, I tried to get the disengaged nylon block back into the lift channel, but I couldn't manoevre the window glass inside the door enough to do this. GRRR.

Ended up drilling out the remaining 2 rivets & took the whole regulator mechanism out of the door. Drilled out the holes in both & have reassembled it using 1/4 inch nuts & bolts. Happy ending to a crap situation. At least I can close the window now, & will feel at ease with the car in the carport at night, being locked up properly.

Thanks again to mark & other people on the forum whose old posts helped me fix this. You all deserve a :drink: