Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS weird Air con problem

D

-Davo

I have a weird problem.

When I am going up a hill... It can be, any hill, of any degree, a hill that's not down, or a flat road, and on highway, my air (con doesn't have to be on) will divert from the main vents to the floor vents.

More specific: The car has to be semi-losing speed, it doesn't have to be under stress, but I can manually down-shift the gear to 3rd before hitting the hill (if its a big hill) and it'll still do it. Not right away, but half way up.
However, although the air is diverted to the floor vents, I can actually stop it, this requires me to take my foot off the accelerator completely, then it'll go back to normal. My solution to this is just turn the air con off, which defeats the purpose all together.
?

This has been happening for a little while but not as bad as it is now, now its chronic. Before it was randomly, and up heavy hills, now it's bad, it happens all the time when putting my foot down but not really going anywhere.

I did take it to a auto electrics he said its a "commodore" thing, but my g'pa has a VR and my mate has a VS and neither report this problem.

This is ****ing annoying, I have this nice cold air coming on, hit a hill, bam, back to my 83 ford again, the heat just hits you.

does ANY one have any idea what the problem is? :air:

Cheers in advance.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
O what joy !
Faulty air cond vents...

I had my climate control air-cond blowing though to my feet... It was really annoying...it would only blow through the centre intermittantly...

To cut a long story short... after checking all the hoses, the one way valve off the manifold and the vacuum ball under the left guard... it turned out to be the solenoid switches under the radio.

The climate air cond and the exec air cond are different however... but if I were you I'd be looking for a loose vacuum hose and/or loose linkages to the various servo's on the unit. You will need to pull half your dash apart to check it all out...:bang:

clinster73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
Hey Davo
It happens to my VS all the time when ive got the aircon on and go up a hill. I actually read about it before i experienced it. It is designed to do it so when goin up hills it doesnt takeaway too much power from the motor.

T

TOM_85

guessin the vr aircon doesnt do that, or i havent noticed

D

-Davo

clinster73 said:
Hey Davo
It happens to my VS all the time when ive got the aircon on and go up a hill. I actually read about it before i experienced it. It is designed to do it so when goin up hills it doesnt takeaway too much power from the motor.

Damnit.

So there's no way to fix it? It's pretty chronic now though, it does it even up the slightest of hills.

I will have a look for the hoses, thanks guys.

angelo.vs

Autobot
Reaction score
Members Ride
Honda Accord Euro Luxury
clinster73 said:
Hey Davo

That doesnt sound normal to me at all. I had the same issue with my climate control and it ended up being the vacuum solenoid.

For non climate control cars, make sure that there is no vacuum leak within the system.

My old VS never did it and it had normal aircon. Ive only read that the a/c cuts out when on full throttle. It says it in the manual.

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
-Davo, it will be a vacuum-related problem (either switches or a leaking hose). Unfortunately you need to go down the path as sixshooter described ruling out vacuum leaks. I've been down the same path myself. You can shortcut the process and replace the vacuum switches/solenoids first up but if they don't end up being faulty you may have wasted your dollars and you'll still need to find the leak.

Check out the following thread, and the order to check things in is given by gsmrobinson (retired aircon tech guru):
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=5370

There's another post here by Guy for more detail about checking the vacuum switch:
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=517

As for being designed to do it, it's not really designed to fail but when it does fail I'd much rather have the vents switch direction than lose power-assist on the brake pedal!!

Mark.

D

-Davo

Woah thank you so much demons.

Now I have narrows the problem down I can get it fixed, thanks heaps.

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
Sometimes when I accelerate quickly Recirc switches to Vent, I thought maybe Holden thought after 20 mins or so it's a good idea to switch from recirc to vent so it's lets in some fresh air in the cabin but I someone doubt they would do that.

C

chrome calais

Hi my VS Calais has same problem. Have climate air. I've always just laughed about it and thought 'what a weird car'.
I was planning to fully leave it as it's kind of quirky. Any danger in leaving it?