Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Berlina Instrument cluster LCD lighting - replacement

6h84eva

Certifiably Holden Mad
Reaction score
Website
www.ithome.net.nz
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6
Hi people

My VS Berlina is having an issue with the backlighting on the LCD display (the bit that shows the trip computer detail and the milage at the base of the instrument cluster).

About 6 months ago I lost one light and now a second has gone. I'm not concerned about a possible over-voltage - the car has done a few k's and I guess everything has an expiry date - but I cannot read the middle window any more at night and I like to use the setting that shows your current fuel consumption (like an old vacuum gauge used to) in this slot.

I pulled the cluster out to squiz at the thing when the first bulb went - as the local Holden dealer reckoned replacing the bulbs was easy - and the only bulbs accessible without pulling the PCB off the back were the backlights for the speedo / tach etc. Being a bit concerned for the well-being of the unit (as I had no manual at the time) I put it back without further investigation.

The manual I now have is no help. Has anyone ever replaced the bulbs that light up the LCD displays? If so, how is it done?

vsv8berlinawag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 5 ltr Berlina Wagon
Yes I have been down this road and after a bit of patience and care it can be done. I did a fair bit of chasing around, and found that the bulbs can only be brought from the General as no one makes 3rd party ones, and they were pretty pricey, I think about $10 each !!!! I suggest you buy or get your hands on a Gregory's manual as it describes how to take the instrument cluster out and how to disconnect a wiring loom to the trip computer display(only on Berlina's and Calais) that's located inside the fuse box. I can only stress that you must be patient and don't force anything and just take your time and look carefully as to how it all comes apart/together, especially the lcd display body that houses the lamps. At the end of the day it may be just that the tiny globes need to be reseated, but to check this you need to put the cluster back together and reconnect the wiring looms to the instrument cluster and turn on the lights !.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
ask a wrecker, im sure they have plenty of smashed /not working clusters which u can buy bulbs off.

6h84eva

Certifiably Holden Mad
Reaction score
Website
www.ithome.net.nz
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6
To vsv8berlinawag - thanks for the information, sounds like you've been there and done that. The concept (when I pulled the cluster out the first time) looked very daunting :bang: and there is no way I wanted to be in this position with the wife :bop: when having to explain that...well.....instead of a little bulb or two, we needed a new cluster now.

Are you telling me that the Gregory's manual shows how to strip down a cluster to replace these bulbs or are you saying something else entirely? Remember, I've had the cluster out before, just not pulled the circuit board off the back of the cluster to replace the bulbs in the LCD screen of the trip computer / odometer display part.

To Fitzy2005 - dunno about Oz mate, but Kiwi wreckers seem to have the impression that even though it's second hand, you should still pay the new price (or damn close to it) for the bit you want. I have no idea how these sharks stay in business from year to year..... It's a logical thought that had occurred to me, but I figured the only time I would consider a wrecker is if I somehow destroyed the entire cluster I have.

On that thought, it just struck me - is it the CLUSTER that remembers the milage or is it the vehicle's COMPUTER? I'm just wondering if I ended up purchasing another cluster because I lunched this one, whether the milage would read as for MY car or the car the other cluster came OUT of..... Separate issue to the one I started the thread on and it's of secondary concern to me, but if someone's done it they may be able to answer it quickly for me.

Anyway, if anyone else has experience replacing the LCD bulbs and can offer some advice or tips (or sympathy), please drop us a thread here. Thanks.

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
6h84eva said:
On that thought, it just struck me - is it the CLUSTER that remembers the milage or is it the vehicle's COMPUTER? I'm just wondering if I ended up purchasing another cluster because I lunched this one, whether the milage would read as for MY car or the car the other cluster came OUT of..... Separate issue to the one I started the thread on and it's of secondary concern to me, but if someone's done it they may be able to answer it quickly for me.

Anyway, if anyone else has experience replacing the LCD bulbs and can offer some advice or tips (or sympathy), please drop us a thread here. Thanks.

Its the actual cluster hwich remembers the odometer reading, so by replacing your cluster with another will read the odometer from the other car. But there is a solution to this, there are instrument repairers who can adjust the reading to match the one of your current car, i had this done, cost me $50.

I need to replace a LCD bulb too, i have pulled apart my cluster many times but never pulled the circuit board off to get to the LCD screens from behind, but it cant be that hard to do. There is a user on these forums somewhere who has actually replaced the stock LCD bulbs with blue ones so his lights up blue, try and search for that and ask that user on how to pull it apart.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
ive got some spare bulbs from my original cluster..(ive got a calais one now, thanks to infusion and markova :) ) but you in NZ mite cost a tad bit to post

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
fitzy2005 said:
ive got some spare bulbs from my original cluster..(ive got a calais one now, thanks to infusion and markova :) ) but you in NZ mite cost a tad bit to post

The bulbs that light the background of the cluster and the bulbs that light the LCD screen are totally different. The bulbs from your old cluster is not what he is after.

6h84eva

Certifiably Holden Mad
Reaction score
Website
www.ithome.net.nz
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6
Thanks Infus10n - I'll have another hunt on the forums now (basing on what you've mentioned) and see what I can come up with.....

6h84eva

Certifiably Holden Mad
Reaction score
Website
www.ithome.net.nz
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6
Okey doke. User Stocky has a thread (dated Sept 05) under VN-VP that shows how to replace the LCD lighting in one of those models. From what he describes, it appears that the cluster and the trip computer bit in the VN-VP are separate units, so it doesn't really apply to us in that regard, but I guess Holden could have just incorporated the same LCD unit into the back of our VR-VS units and thus the principle for replacement would be the same - once the @&*^$(# main circuit board on the back of the cluster is out of the way. Might have a go myself and let you know how it goes...... What the hell - it's only money, right?!

There was a thread in the VT-VX section where some bloke has played around changing bulbs, but the VT-VX dash is different again and I think he was referring to backlighting of the dials only. However, there was a posting that mentioned the blue lighting conversion - although they reckoned it was in the Street Commodores website. Maybe it is - I cannot find it here.....

If you spot it listed on this site, can you please let me know? Thanks.

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride