Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

coolent needs flushing

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais V6 & VSII Senator 215i
Just wondering how much coolent a VS holds coz its a bad colour so im gonna flush it out and put new stuff in

mess666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0L BT1
Pretty sure it's 12 Litres.

Just get a bottle of concentrate, and mix it with distilled or demineralised water.

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well bugger me,thats alot.Any idea on wat i can use to make sure the insides are clean,im abit un-easy about just using a hose to run water through it.I need sumthin to clean the reserver bottle too

DeiCide

DeiCide
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 L67
just take the reserver bottle off and clean it out with whatever eg. Orange power, or metho.
You can buy some radiator flush treatments to thourghly clean insides.
Might want to check your hoses too. (if original hoses will have heaps of sh!t in them)

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
I've NEVER been able to get 12 litres into the VS cooling system. Easiest way to flush all the old crap out is to remove the bottom radiator hose, and then remove the thermostat and housing, and just continuously flush water through it until its clean, then fill up with straight water, assemble, go for a drive and then do it all again.

I'd recommend using the Genuine Holden 50% concentrate coolant mix, I normally pour 6 litres of that in, and then just top the rest up with water, making up 12 litres in total.

There are some other threads on here that may be of help to you, do a search and you'll find what you need.

VRAddiction

its never fast enough
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy SS Manual Ute
Harvs82 said:
I've NEVER been able to get 12 litres into the VS cooling system. Easiest way to flush all the old crap out is to remove the bottom radiator hose, and then remove the thermostat and housing, and just continuously flush water through it until its clean, then fill up with straight water, assemble, go for a drive and then do it all again.

QUOTE]

ditto to that!!........and sticking a hose down it will be just fine....i do it everyday:w00t:

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Flushing with a hose is fine, but you must use at least 50% glycol in the entire system if you want the radiator to last as long as possible.

Also the entire system holds 12 litres, but unless u remove the knock sensors and drain the block, you will only get about 9 into it. The block holds about 3 litres of water I think... even when u have drained the system.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
shaggerz said:
Flushing with a hose is fine, but you must use at least 50% glycol in the entire system if you want the radiator to last as long as possible.

Also the entire system holds 12 litres, but unless u remove the knock sensors and drain the block, you will only get about 9 into it. The block holds about 3 litres of water I think... even when u have drained the system.

Yep thats right, thats why I dump the water after flushing it, connected everything back up, put all 6 litres of straight coolant into the radiator, and half fill the reservoir, and then just fill the rest up with water, that way you have your 50/50 mix.

cunners3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VSII Wagon
Make sure you bleed it!!

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
thanx guys,once my boss gives me more work so i can replace the drive plate i'll get stuck into it