Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Does it really make a difference?

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
I looked into my throttle body last weekend and it was black and inside of plenum was covered in oily black ****, i asked my dad if i should clean it and he said not to worry about it , i been searching around on here and ppl been sayin its good to clean it , will make car more responsive and better accel. Im wondering if it really doesmake a diff cos my cars running pretty good, except for cold starts it starts choking/spluttering if i give it a rev, my vp never did it and my mums vt dont do it either, when the cars warm it has a slight hesitation from stop to flat to the floor and idle can be pretty rough sometimes

would cleaning the TB and plenum , fix/help this problem?

thanks.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Possibly... cleaning the TB will give a bit smoother air flow, as well as allowing more air in (assuming the TB is caked up and restricted).

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
might as well try. no harm done cleaning it. if it doesnt fix it at least you know the TB isnt your problem

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
i guess i can give it a go, cos it looks real dirty in there, also when i start it , it can take a few sec of cranking before it fires but if i press the accelerator it starts alot quicker, i got a new fuel pump so i no it cant be that and that made a big diff to how it was b4, the spark side of things is fine, wondering mayeb injectors need cleaning or sumfin, even tho i have run optimax straight for 3.5 months and the power is really good

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
just be careful not to let the crap get in your intake tubes. plug them with some rag or something and vacuum crap out as you clean it off.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
I never thought bout that , thanks for the tips, bet the car wouldnt have been 2 happy with all that **** goin down its throat!!

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
when i got home from work today i took the plenum off to see what it was like underneath, i got a pic of it, gonna clean it on weekend, how does all that **** get there?? and how does the oil get there? cos i found oil there

Attachments

• Picture(28).jpg
    Picture(28).jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 256

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
Cleaning the black soot coating on the inside of the manifold is a complete waste of time. Ask yourself how much is it reducing volume - it would be 3 5ths of f*** all.
Your air flow sensor needs to be clean and it gets coated in oil mist drawn from the filter element. If the engine is starting rich check all the sensors - look in the Gregorys manual as it covers this in sufficient detail to get you by.

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
Don Sutton said:
Your air flow sensor needs to be clean and it gets coated in oil mist drawn from the filter element.
This is good advice. It is also the main reason I'll never use a K&N or any other type of re-usable filter/pod.

You need to clean the elements in your MAF with some kind of alcohol or metho.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
the air flow sensor is the MAF right?? cos i cleaned that with carby cleaner and made no difference, also the oil i see in there is engine oil, how does engine oil get into the air intake?? yeah Don im gonna leave cleaning it now after haveing a think about it u are right , it wont do ****, but i will clean all the throttle body tho cos it seems a bit sticky