Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Transmission Question

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
Since i bought the car i noticed when i slow down to less than <=20km/h, keep rolling and then i go to accelerate again ,the car does a real quick 2nd to 1st to 2nd change(like it cant make up its mind), it dosnt happen wen i accelerate a bit harder(stays in first or if faster than 20 stays in second)...im wondering if this happen to anyone else, cos i dnt think i got a trans problem cos trans seems good acording to my mech, fluid colour is a nice light red and smells good not burnt and drives real smooth even when cold.

Sometimes though i can be doin 40 then i flatten it and it stays in 3rd then a second later it kiks back to first, dosnt matter if power button on or off, onli done it a few times, every other time it goes bak to first and i get the good 40km/h kik in the pants.

can anyone give me insight into why these things happen?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
i dont quite understand what your question is....what you've explained all sounds like pretty normal behaviour for an auto.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Jamie_87 said:
Since i bought the car i noticed when i slow down to less than <=20km/h, keep rolling and then i go to accelerate again ,the car does a real quick 2nd to 1st to 2nd change(like it cant make up its mind), it dosnt happen wen i accelerate a bit harder(stays in first or if faster than 20 stays in second)...im wondering if this happen to anyone else, cos i dnt think i got a trans problem cos trans seems good acording to my mech, fluid colour is a nice light red and smells good not burnt and drives real smooth even when cold.

Sometimes though i can be doin 40 then i flatten it and it stays in 3rd then a second later it kiks back to first, dosnt matter if power button on or off, onli done it a few times, every other time it goes bak to first and i get the good 40km/h kik in the pants.

can anyone give me insight into why these things happen?

Mine is exactly the same, it does hunt gears like you mention, with the 2nd 1st 2nd thing, I notice it particularly driving in peak hour traffic on the freeway. Easiest solution there is just to accelerate gently, thats how I get around it. 40km/h is probably at the top end of the range for going back to first gear, so that sounds normal anyway. If you want it to go back to first, you have to be very quick on the throttle, and be doing less than 40...

As many people on here will probably say, the 4L60e isn't the smoothest box around... and it can be very indecisive at times!

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
ahh k ,so it is normal, yeh i was kinda thinkin that but i just wanted a few other opinions...thanks for the info, yeh they arnt the smoothest box , i geuss im just used to the old box from the vp, still learning about electronic box