Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Boot leak

grigor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive, R31, R33
Found my boot leak, an unsealed part of a welded seam on the right side.
Annoying that it dampens the carpet etc and I've got a feeling it's been there since new.

Attachments

• seam 1a.JPG
    seam 1a.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 456

VStooDie4

Rubber should be punished
Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ 5l ST88TO & VT exec
Whack on some silicon. Worked for me. though mine was in a different spot, and was previously hit from behind(before i bought it).

grigor

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive, R31, R33
Yes once they've had a prang, all the seams are suspect.
No prangs to this one but it does have a tow bar so perhaps the strain is too much for the thin metal and seams, or maybe it's just been there since new.
I found it by blasting water up from below all around the fuel tank and floor. Pours in if you get the hose at the right angle.

dlzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 3.8 V6
my boot was leaking for ages.. only on the right side and i couldnt figure it out.

finally figured it out.. screwed up the little rubber knobs under the lid to sit lower - so the lid would closer tighter. Also the metal hook in which the boot lock closes on, that was banged down jus a little so once again the boot lid sits closer on the seals.

commielover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SSBodyKit
yeh seams

My car has same problem.

There are fillets on each side of the rear window on VR/ VS. This is where there are small leaks. Shame holden didnt seal it better.:bow:

Just shows if you want 2 tow buy a 4wd.:air:

I'd never tow if i bought a new commodore , or at least keep the weight well below the figures in the manual.

VSSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5.0 Ute
If you're towing anything of a decent size you used to be able to get genuine 'tow kits' which consisted of a metal bar on each side of the boot floor to the top somewhere in the boot. The first time I saw this kit I was shocked that they were needed in an Australian built car! They had 'bodgy fix up' written all over them. I love my GM products but it does make you wonder about basic build quality!

Silastic contains a mild acid that will promote rust. Don't use it! Use a sealant specifically designed for the job. Even some windscreen sealant.