Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Changing gears in auto

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Well driving around I have started to use the 3 gears in my VR auto. Like drop it down to 2 and let my engine slow me down or first when im going down a hill and dont want to ride the brake. Is this putting stress on my gearbox?

WILD VR CLUBBY

lack of licence
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy s
im also doin the same thing but a always use my gearbox to slow down and i would like to know the same thing

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
Just be careful when shifting, it's not quite the same as a manual, you will feel the car pull if you shift too high, and that's probably not such a good thing.

I wouldn't do it all the time, but yes I do use it on occasions, mainly down hills.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I dont do it so that it snaps down a gear. I dont think it would let me do it anyway because the computer will override my selection if I drop it down too low when its going too fast. Am I going to reduce its life tho or can it cope with this??

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
kopper69 said:
Am I going to reduce its life tho or can it cope with this??
You will shorten its life by doing this. Personally, I don't move the gearstick at all. I drive around the suburbs in '3' and on the freeway in 'D', and that's as complicated as it gets.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
there's nothing detrimental about gear breaking in an auto....its just not that commonly done (lazy drivers,lol).
also you can change back into first when doin 60k's+ and you get a nice lockup of the rears happening...dont recommend doin this though.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
actually you shouldn't be able to, AFAIK you can drop it into 1 but it won't actually select 1st unless you are <60k.

Most of the time mine is in D, but coming down inclines it gets dropped to 3 or 2 depending.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
well...you wont know till you try then hey matt...

p.s....ive not done this in my vs....i have done it in a mates falcon (f*cked if i know what model....why would i wont to know anything about a ford)

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
well perhaps there is a different trans in the falcon... it's hard to say they will be the same, perhaps what's in the vs has some more brains. Check the manual if you don't believe me.

Anyway, I don't feel like ripping the guts out of my car, so I'll leave that mission for someone else :)

tysons_2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais International - RIP VR Turbo
well in my vr if im even going slow speeds like 20km/h on gravel and knock it back to 1st it will do a bit of a compression lockup.
I also frequently use my gears to slow me down.