Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sway bar/stabilising bar(?) bushes

jeenyus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec S/Wagon
hello,

i need to replace one of the bushes on what i believe is called the Sway bar/stabilising bar/linkpin - it's the vertical rod, front left wheel. wondering if i need to replace the lot, or can you just get the bushes? currently is metal on metal and squeaking heaps, so annoying.

also is the bar/rod spring loaded? wondering if its something i could replace myself with relative ease/care or not.

total newbie, and couldnt find what i'm after in the search - so any info/prices/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

cheers guys.

VStooDie4

Rubber should be punished
Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ 5l ST88TO & VT exec
Personally i suggest to get a mechanic to do it.

They are very tricky to do your self and a hoist would be a very big advantage. Replace the whole lot on both sides (dont be dodgey) and an aftermarket set is about $45 at auto1.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Have to differ on the level of difficulty. Only problem I can think of is that they may have been replaced previously and the order or orientation of the washers and bushes may be incorrect - the convex side of the washers should be in contact with the rubber bushes. I have seen them installed upside down.

Lifting both sides of the car off the ground at the same time helps, as being able to move from lock to lock is required to remove/fit the links easily. Fit both sides before tightening and tighten with the bushes not distorted (move the steering to achieve this).

Agree on the replace all bushes though and would add the washers as well. If it has been 'metal on metal' for some time, the link itself may also be damaged.

There is (are?) aftermarket link kits around (with a stronger 'link') that don't destroy the bushes/washers as quickly as the factory ones. I prefer not to use urethane bushes in this application as being a plastic it tends to creep ie. permanently distort under load.

ww1313

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs aclaim v6
Try the new Nolathane or Noltec link rods. They are slighty "s" shaped so as to align much better and as not to place so much stress on the linkages.