Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR V6 Auto Stalling when at low revs.. Please help!

RedLiner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 Commodore
Hey,

Over the past week I have been experiencing some problems with my VR V6 commodore. When it's in drive and at low revs the car seems to stall. Now it tends to happen when I say pull up at a roundabout or somewhere, and the revs drop from 1000 to like just about 0 when the car will stall.

It even happened when I was coasting down a hill at 60 km's this morning, the revs went to just about 0 and the engine warning light came on for a few seconds.

Now I'm thinking maybe its the spark plugs? Or something else to do with the ignition? Any info on what it migth be and what I can do to fix it would be great thanks. I was thinking of changing the plugs, fuel filter and see how I go from there, but it may be a something else.

Thanks.

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
could be battery/alternator related?

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
clean your throttle body out, 10 bux carby cleaner can from supercheap, best start, if not checkf ro any error codes found in the HowTo Section, if no success, get holden to check your base idle etc, and also service your car(yourself if you no wot to do).

nathsvrbt1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Bt1 pack
hey mate a had the exact same problem turned out to be a $18 part from holden it was the TPS (throttle postioning sensor) take it into ur nearest holden place and ask em to do a diagnostics test that will give u ur problem strait away if u wanna speend the $$$$

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Could it be the good old Crank Angle Sensor, or DFI module?

Mine has been doing the same thing, whilst coasting, just cuts out, its booked in for Tuesday next week, ran the codes and came up with a Crank Angle Sensor Fault....

RedLiner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 Commodore
Thanks for all the replies.

Hmm just reading up on running a diagnostics test myself. Has anyone done it themselves before? And how hard is it to do?

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
RedLiner said:
Thanks for all the replies.

Hmm just reading up on running a diagnostics test myself. Has anyone done it themselves before? And how hard is it to do?

Very easy to do, just did it the other night to work out what my problem was. I just used a paperclip to connect the #5 and #6 terminals together. Switch on, and remember that code '12' appears first, three times and then any faults will appear after that, each one being displayed 3 times.

Just note down the sequence, and then check the page that displays the relevant information for your car and its codes.

RedLiner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Series 2 Commodore
Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm pretty useless when it comes to things like this diagnostic test so would u mind giving me a more detailed explanation, lol sorry.

Where will these numbers appear? I get that the different numbers refer to different problems, but don't really know where to start or how to perform the test.

Thanks.

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
RedLiner said:
Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm pretty useless when it comes to things like this diagnostic test so would u mind giving me a more detailed explanation, lol sorry.

Where will these numbers appear? I get that the different numbers refer to different problems, but don't really know where to start or how to perform the test.

Thanks.

PM Sent mate