Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

gauge installation

Snotty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina auto s2
g'day guys

just wondering if any one here has installed some gauges (water temp, Oil temp and voltage) here?

ive seen it done somewhere before but with no infor or anything.

cheers
scott

Attachments

• gauge 1.JPG
    gauge 1.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 730
Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
I have recently finished installing a couple of gauges. I took took a fair bit of modification to fit the gauges where I did, but I'm happy with the result.:D I have a air/fuel ratio and transmission temperature gauge with plenty of room to fit another in the middle. The AFR gauge was easy. Earth wire, power wire (spliced the cigarette lighter) and then splice the purple wire on the ECU. Still need to finish the wiring for the temp gauge. Main hold up is the sender unit works best when mounted into oil pan. My transmission is in need of repairs, so I'll get it done then.

Attachments

• AFR & TT Gauges.JPG
    AFR & TT Gauges.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 865

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
I think the better spot for them is where Mr. BT1 VR has put 'em. You probably could put 'em where you want, but there'd be much mucking around and hackage of dashboard involved.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
BT1 VR said:
I have recently finished installing a couple of gauges. I took took a fair bit of modification to fit the gauges where I did, but I'm happy with the result.:D I have a air/fuel ratio and transmission temperature gauge with plenty of room to fit another in the middle. The AFR gauge was easy. Earth wire, power wire (spliced the cigarette lighter) and then splice the purple wire on the ECU. Still need to finish the wiring for the temp gauge. Main hold up is the sender unit works best when mounted into oil pan. My transmission is in need of repairs, so I'll get it done then.
BT1 VR - how did you mount the temp sender to the transmission housing/pan? Thats a good spot for guages too. Thanks.

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
I have not mounted the sender unit yet, probably best to do it when the pan is off the car. My transmission is due for some repairs, (lost engine braking) so I'll get it fitted then. Here are some more pics of the cutting that is needed to fit the 50mm gauges. This is due to the tapering of the compartment.

Attachments

• AFR & TT Gauges 1a.JPG
    AFR & TT Gauges 1a.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 359
  • AFR & TT Gauges 1b.JPG
    AFR & TT Gauges 1b.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 456
F

flipsyde

BT1 VR did u make the face your self? i want to do the same thing because when i bought the car there was a whole there like the previous owner had already hacked out the plastics and had gauges there before he sold it. u rekon u or someone can show us a step by step guide on how to hook em up im not even to sure which is tha earth wire.. im asuming u used 2 inch gauges yea?? zheers in advance

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
if i can remember, there is a bit of space under the plastic located in first post where you want to put gauges. not sure if its enough for a gauge tho.

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
Yes I did make the face myself. I was made from something called melamine. Not sure if that is the correct spelling or even if that what it's called. I got it from my bro who works at a bus manufacture plant and they fit it to back of the seats i think. It's mostly plastic with a thin layer of vinyl on top. Yes they are 52mm or 2 inch gauges. Black wire is usually the earth. I all depends on how many wires the gauges have. 2,3 or 5 ?

Attachments

• Gauge face plate.jpg
    Gauge face plate.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 271

joesvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Wagon
sorry didn't work