Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Throttle Body

Haze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
now is it cool to use degreaser on the throttle body?
people have told me it isnt and i should just stick with petrol and kerosene but degreaser would be so much easier

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
yeah degreasers cool to use mate...just take off the throttle body and go nuts with a can of degreaser, get all the crap out of there.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Doesn't matter much what you use so long as it is kept out of the throttle body bushes. Liberal use of a spray can cleaner can wash the grease out of the bushes = early failure. Wiping with a cloth is better and an old tooth brush helps.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
There is a product called throttle and carby cleaner made especially for this application.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If you do use degreaser make sure it is solvent based and not alkaline based because the alkaline based solvent corrodes anything made of aluminium or alloy and the part cleaned ends up with a white powdery substance all over it which is impossible to remove. As Kopper69 says, use a throttle and carby cleaner in preference.

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
probably good idea to block the valve ports too... don't want bits of crap going down there..

plug ports with rag and vacuum around the area when finished???

L8N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
i took the top of the plume of and used nulon throttle body and carby cleaner, its great stuff lifts all the carbon build up straight off. i tryed it with petrol and a tooth brush on the inside of the lid and it didnt do ****. so i sprayed this on and it wiped straight off and it was clean as. with the actual plume i tryed to stop as much going down the ports as posible by only doing a very small bit at a tym and wiping it straight out while trying to cover up the port.

L8N

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS COMMODORE
VROCIOUS said:
can also run it straight through with the motor running the nulon stuff so also helps clear crap out of intake manifold
you can but i didnt want all that carbon going through my motor. plus by taking it off i no i got every bit off carbon. and the plume was polished at the same time as well while it was off