Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

temperature

Haze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
hey i asked about this awhile and i took the advise on the new radiator hoses but my vs still runs very hot like easily over the half way point
and i was just wondering if anyone had any other ideas on what it might be
i've flushed the radiator and bought new hoses already

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If your gauge is indicating HOT, try lifting the bonnet just after switching off when its hot and see if you can hear any boiling - heat soak in the engine usually increases the coolant temp when the engine is switched off and the water pump isn't circulating the coolant. If you hear bubbling/boiling then it is hot, but if it is quiet and does not seem really hot judged by the air temperature
over the engine, then maybe your gauge is not accurate. The gauge is a pretty primitive device and not all VS gauges read the same. Are your electric fans switching on? - they should go on when the guage is just a bit over halfway.

muzza

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx berlina
mate my vs was like that sit on half on the temp gauge unless i had the aircon on cause then the radiator fan works more to keep cooler anyway i changed my water pump cause it got a leak but i also changed my thermastat there were 2 heat ranges to choose from i got the 1 that opens at a lower temp to keep your car cooler anyway she runs colder than ever now only on 1 bar on the gauge im happy as

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Are you running the proper mix of 50/50 mix of holden coolant concentrate and water?

The gauge showing a bit above half would be normal, that happens all the time with my car, but you can hear the thermo fan cut in, and then the gauge drops back below half. I would only be worried if it goes well past 3/4 on the gauge....

S

slammedvs

well you can get a 81 degree celcius thermosat from FIT im pretty sure

Haze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore
on occassion it gets up to 3/4