Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Heat Exchange Unit

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
My daughters VR appears to be leaking water - dripping on the drivers side of the transmission tunnel.

A quick look and it seems the metal unit which i presume is the heat exchange unit is blowing water from underneath.

Few questions for those in the know..

1- Can you confirm my worst fear - that half the dash has to be pulled apart to get the unit out?

2- If I disconnect the plumbing hoses (in the engine bay near the bulkhead and connected to the heat exchange unit) - does that mean the air con refrigerant will pour out - may be a stupid question but this area is new to me.

3- Anyone know where I can get new replacement heat exchange unit without having to sell my house (wary of getting a 2nd hand unit - o/a same fault being present).

:bop:

hot308vb

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs clubby project car & crappy vs v6 ute daily
hi there,
is it leaking water or coolant? cos during operation of the air con it produces condensation which should go out a little drain tube that goes through the tranny hump on the drivers side.
Sometimes that tube falls out and the condensation just drips down onto the floor, looking like a leaking heater core.
Hope this may help.

SSV8pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV- Manual Redhot
Leak

Will check again - I think it's water as the liquid is clear. When I lifted the heat exchanger slightly as it was working - water sort of spurted out a little bit from below the heat exchange unit.

Can you advse where the drain tube is located or what it looks like?

Thanks

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
You need to get under the car and look for the drain hose hanging down near the front of the transmission on the passenger side. Often the hose becomes blocked and the water has nowhere to go but in your car, you need to stick something up there to unblock it. It happened to me once and it is a common problem.

VP Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Wagon
depends what type of drain base has been fitted to the car, some have two outlets one on each side. be careful lifting any of the box whilist fitted to the car as on one particular type you can break the drain tube off and then it's a dash out exercise