Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

removal of air bag steering wheel

I

iamsuperjeff

gday guys, can someone tell me the correct method of removing my steering wheel. i need to change the indicator switch and have been told that you must do it properly or the air bag can go off. thanks....ps just found this site and it is bloody good regards iamsuperjeff

Pete284

Banned
Reaction score
i'm not quite sure, but you've gotta disconnect the airbag fuse. have a look around i've seen a thread similar before.

Holdenboy_VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
BLOWN VS
thats not right....it wont blow up in ya face as i jus replaced mine not that long ago...dont have to take out no fuse or nuthn

Pete284

Banned
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure you do, there was some dude that was mucking around with stuff under the steering column, and the airbag came out and broke his neck.

Holdenboy_VS

Reaction score
Members Ride
BLOWN VS
meh...mine was fine.....i thought they could only go off if the car gets hit as the airbag sensors are at the front of the car.....ohh well mine didnt go off

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
Yes you MUST disconnect both the battery and the airbag fuse before you do any work on the steering wheel area. The slightest discharge of even static electricity along the yellow signal wire can set the air bag off and blow your head off. After disconnecting the power you must also wait approx 5min for any residual power that remains in the coils to dissapate before working on or near the air bag circuitry. Sure you may get away with it once or twice or even ten times but you only need it to go off once and you could be dead. I work with them everyday and will not touch them unless the circuit is completely dead. Once the circuit is safe then its nly a matter of removing the torx headed screws from behind the wheel and the airbag will come free. To save a couple of minutes isnt worth your life!!!!

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Disconnecting the yellow connector accessible from beneath the column shroud will mean the airbag is as safe as it can be.

I

iamsuperjeff

thanks guys and particularly scottB_33. keep your eyes on the paper for story about guy who blows his head off with an airbag. if you see a story it means i got it wrong. regards iamsuperjeff

tysons_2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais International - RIP VR Turbo
arent these things meant to save ya life and not kill ya?? lol

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
oh man! wtf, you have the remove the wheel just to replace the stalk? thats farked! mine is dodgy as well, head lights flicker when indicator goes back to off position after turning.