Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

remote key problems

acclaim1993

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim
hi just wondering if anybody has had problems opening
the door locks with the remote key ,
i had it replaced at the dealer once but sill only opens
sometimes when it feels like it ?
any help appreciated thank you .

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Old battery or worn out key by the sounds of it. Most likely worn out key by the sounds of it. Very unlikely to be anything wrong on the car side of things.

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Common knowledge that the remote keys lasts about 10 years, be prepared for close to $100, for both a new key head + having it programmed to your car.

Ebay is cheap enuf for the key head but you need either a GM dealer or somone with the right gear to program it.

acclaim1993

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim
thanks for the comments i had the key head replaced today at mr minit cost about $80
still have trouble sometimes but not always ?

jonh_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice
I had both keys replaced

I had a similar problem recently. The security system seemed to have a mind of its own. Openning all doors, no doors, boot - you name it. I had both keys replaced in total including their internal electronic circuit boards, from Holden -about $53 each. Also, at the same time they replaced the gear select sensor as it was (at times) registering the gear shift to be in reverse instead of in park, as it actually was. No further problems. It was strange, that one of the technicians seemed to think that it was a problem in the door loom - which is no longer available. Thankfully it appears that he was wrong, in this case. ;)

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
While most do know some don't, pointing the key at the car seldom works, the transmitter aerial is in the bottom front of the key head.

You will find the doors will lock / unlock first go if the base of the key head is aimed at the car with the key pointed up rather than the "traditional point the key" that some other cars use, as the key itself has no bearing on the transmission of the signal.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Can anybody tell me what glue is used for glueing the remote key head. I dont want to use anything too tough because it wont open again when i need to replace the battery but dont want something too soft or it will open up again??