Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rear Thud noise when changing gears???

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
What would cause the following.....

when putting the auto in reverse i get a thud from the back of the car sounds like from near the diff.....

also does it when driving between speeds of around 40km/h - 60km/h, but when i release the throttle just as its going to change gears up it wont thud...

BTW its a pretty recent reco trans put in...... and its been doin it before and even after the trans was changed....

cheers

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Sounds like a rear Uni joint.

Change it from D to R over and over and it should not make any noise, if it does the uni/s being RS is a safe bet.

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
cheers.....

anyidea on average price for a new one and labour or can you do it yourself???

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Depends on your mechanical knowledge, they can be buggers to get the bearing cups out, so it would pay if you have done it B4.

Most mechanics charge at $60 / hour, the uni's could be up to $40 each depending on quality.

Also what they find ? it could be the other centre uni's as well, once one goes they usually follow in sympathy, get a free quote so you know what's really wrong, low oil in the diff may also add to backlash in the running gear.

You will need ramps at a minimum, unless your a matchstick, no offence, but I am used to working on diesel cruisers that you can get underneath, actually a good dry place to sleep out in the bush, under the tray on a swag.

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
thnx digisol for the info......

might just get the local mech do take a look....

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
NP bloke, probably simpler and much faster to get someone that knows their stuff to do it for ya, I can't see it taking more than an hour and a half to do all the uni joints, if that's the problem ?

They can be bashed out with a hammer and the right size socket but a press does it faster, better with less chance of damage, they are usually rusted in or very tight.

Getting the new uni's in is better done with a press, as the 4 cups are full of small needle roller bearings that may be disslodged when hitting em.

And get greasable uni's if possible, they last longer than the sealed units.