Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oil Change

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
On the w/e i drained my oil,my dads mate told me to put the oil cap back on, plug the oil filter hole and blow down the dipstick tube, when i did this i was amazed at all the black crap and gunk that was cummin out , i kept this up untill nothing else would come out. Usually when i change oil i get out about 3.8litres of oil, this time from the blowing, i got all 4.1 litres out plus extra blobs of gunk.
At first i thought my dads mate was being an idiot , but after i saw wat was cummin out i changed my mind very fast, i rekon next time one of use do an oil changed give that a go, ull be amazed of how much oil/gunk u leave in ur engine every oil change.

Plus before i drained the oil i threw in a couple cups of diesel to break up any build up in the oil pick up on top of engine etc then ran for few mins to curculate(oil comes out like water after that).

just thought id post it up!

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
This was by simply putting air downthe dipstick hole? That's scary considering the dipstick goes straight down into the sump!
Would be a good idea providing you don't blow any oil gaskets out.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Sounds good but I would like another justcommodore member to back up what your saying before i try it. Just dont wanna damage gaskets or do damage with diesel in oil. If another member can second these statements I will give you the thumbs up.

Jamie_87

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 BA XR6
yeah all i did was connect sum hose to the dipstick and blew down it with my mouth, no high pressure or anything , all ur need is a piece of hose and a good set of lungs.
i cant see how blowing breath from ur mouth down the dip stick would dmage gaskets as it not high pressure(not high as oil pressure would be when driving)??? the diesel is ok my mech told as it contains alot of oil it lubricates and cleans at the same time so it dont dry up seals and stuff, he rekons its better than engine flush additive...yeh i dnt blame u for being cautious cos u dnt wanna cause un necessary damage to ur pride and joy

if anyone can tell me a proven side effect from useing diesel id like to know too so i can stop using it...thanks