Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tail / brake light globes blowing

P

pwill

Have a VS Berlina 133K keeps blowing rear break and tail light globes with great reqularity. Bought cheepies, expensive ones, same problem. Anyone got any clues to this?

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
sounds to me like its shorting out...does it happen as soon as you replace the bulbs ? or is it after time?...

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I'd check the wiring connector for the tail lights at the back open it and give it a spray with wd 40 and any other places where there is a connection.
Lights blow for a few reasons but if its only confined to the rear then you can rule out overvoltage so probably a dud connection or earth (even the brake switch at the pedal if its only the big filament of the bulb that blows)that is making the lamps not get a constant voltage ...a sort of very fast flickering that heats up the filaments and then drops them down a bit and then up again.
With this changing voltage the bulbs won't last long.
I have never replaced a lamp on mine so it is not normal.

VRPhil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Wagon
"Genuine" Holden globes

I had the same problem, killed about 5 globes in 5 weeks before I was told to buy genuine Holden globes (I didn't believe there were genuine globes). Spare parts guy told me the genuine globe has the same specs, but a thicker filament. Haven't changed a globe in 2 years.