Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

can someone help me????

zegerman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive MANUAL
hey boys and girls :w00t:
lately my car has been making a weird grinding noise in first and second gear when goin slow (0-40k's) and when compression braking in second gear goin around a corner..... it an early VS 5 speed manual.... i was wonderin if anyone with a manual commo or ne1 that knows could help me out and mabey tell me if your car does this or not???? any help wood be greatly appreciated :bow:

cheers :driving:

hoppersvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commodore
hey mate compression breaking, usually i would relate compression braking to changing back gears at a speed into lower gears, when done at a high speed if it will select the gear theres a good chance you will screech tyres cos compression is locking up the wheels, not a good thing for a commodore, it can be done safely in a diesel fueled car, so the grinding sounds would be due to compression braking if thats what your doing if not then might help to explain a bit more thoroughly are you using the breaks at all

zegerman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive MANUAL
Sorry i guess i used the wrong term.... um??? yer use the brakes untill i get down to a slow enough speed to take the corner/round-about... once i take the corner 3rd gear it to high a ratio and the car will struggle to pick up speed again, sooooooo this is when i change to second and then this is where the noise is.... it also happens when i aproach a corner and i change into second befor i start turning... the noise only happens when the clutch is fully out.

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
If the noise only happens when the clutch is fully out and the gearbox is in gear, then the noise will be coming from the bearings contained within the gearbox assembly. Its probably the bearings holding the cluster gear in place, which is located in the bottom of the box. Does the noise also appear in 4th or 5th?. As these are straight through gears and if the noise dissapears when you are in these two gears then the trouble is definatly in the gearbox requiring a rebuild. If the noise was when you had your foot on the clutch then the front bearing could be at fault but you said it only occurs with the clutch out and in gear which indicates internal damage.

zegerman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive MANUAL
no... its 1st and 2nd.... and i can also hear it in reverse aswell.. i was driving today and as the noise happened i put it in neutral, took my foot off the clutch and kept the same speed and the noise went away.... then i put it into gear and it came back so it is deffinately in the box... the manual tells me to run dextron 3 (automatic transmission fluid) in the trans. do you think that if i run some thicker oil in it, it could soften the noise???? i was thinkin some 10w40 engine oil??